NFS Issue

liquidzoo

I have 2 NFS shares on my desktop that I mount with my laptop (they were way easier to set up than I thought they would be). Problem is, I want them to mount automatically at boot but Mandrake wants to start them before starting the PCMCIA card (for my wireless internet). Does anyone know if there's a file I can edit so that I can have the NFS shares mount after my PCMCIA starts?

This is just an addition and a thought. Is there a file somewhere (I remember one pointed out to me at some point, but I don't remember where the conversation was or where the file was located) that defines the order that stuff is loaded at boot time? All I want to do is see if I can get the NFS shares to load after my wireless card does. I think I should be able to do this, but I can't find the files at all.

ok, guess I was wrong. On closer inspection of my boot order and process it seems that the pcmcia is loaded before it tries to mount the NFS shares, but I still get a message stating that it can't resolve the address (or something like that, it went by pretty fast) of where the shares are located, but I have no problem mounting them after I log in. Could it be a problem with my options? Here's the section from my /etc/mtab file that is relavent for the shares. You'll excuse me if I comment out my ip address, though:

<my ip here>.client.attbi.com:/var/www/html /mnt/html nfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft,addr=<my ip here>,user=liquidzoo 0 0

<my ip here>.client.attbi.com:/home/liquidzoo/Downloads/laptop /mnt/laptop nfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft,addr=<my ip here>,user=liquidzoo 0 0

Anyone know what the issue might be?

First thats simple, your IP is sufficient without adding the FQDN (.client.attbi.com) your options are hostname.client.attbi.com OR IP, not a mixture of the 2.

For general good practive heres how Init scripts work :D

The order they do is simple.

You have a set of directories in /etc/rc.d. These should be rc[1-6].d

Each directory relates to what to do at that run levl and is divided into starting or stopping a service.

Start being Sxx_<service> and tops (kill) K_xx_service.

Anything but a S or K as the initial charecter are ignored.

xx is anumber from 01-99.

They start or stop in the order of the numbers (well alphabetically actually), if you rename a file from say S23pcmcia to S99pcmcia it will start last (supposing their is no file S99p[d-x] or S99[q-z].... )

So if you wanted to move NFS to start after you give it a higher number...

Remember things like network need to be started after pcmcia ...

When i mod em I just change the case to lower case and then copy to the new location. If you do something stupid you can get the original back!

Well, when I put <my ip here> at the begining of each of those lines, it's not exactly the ip address of my desktop computer. It's the same numbers, but separated by a - instead of a . It's part of the full hostname.

the pcmcia is starting before it tries to mount the NFS, so that's no longer the issue. I just really want to know why it won't mount at boot time, but it will mount with no problems whatsoever after I log in.