Search agent application available for Linux?

Guest CrypticalCat

Guest CrypticalCat

I looked all over the place and can't seem to find an equivalent to Copernic Search Agent for Windows. I used this a lot when I was using Windows before. I do a lot of surfing and research and this tool was extremely useful. Using Wine or whatever is useless because Copernic is integrated with IE6 and I'd like to stick with Mozilla. Google is fine for quick lookups but internet (meta) search engines don't meet my needs. Is there something I can use that would work for me in Linux? Any help would be appreciated.

Guest CrypticalCat

Thanks Michel. I downloaded it, just like a whole bunch of other interesting non-RPM apps stored on my drive. Until I can figure out those terminals and such I have to stick with RPM apps for now, otherwise it does sound promising.

Hope one does pop up as I have similar need.

I use Kryloff Subject Search Spider 3.0 in Windoze and have not found a good Linux replacement. It searches about 40 search engines and then gives me a rating of relativity to my query. It finds lots and lots of things that Good ole Google misses! 8)

Bad thing about conflux is it was beta version in Sept 2000 and no updates since! Probably dependencies would be a nightmare, so I don't plan to even try it.

I found an alternative which you can use if you have your own webserver.

I found a java script that searches a lot of search engines and then ranks them all from a submit search form. I didn't try it becuase I was actually looking for something else at the time :D

Guest CrypticalCat

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and comments. I guess it one of those things that will eventually become available when more people demand it. I suppose I can always dual-boot back to Windows 98 (bite my tongue :roll: ) and use Copernic from there if I get desparate enough. Though I find I hate going back to Windows, it looks so downright mousey after getting used to Linux.