Installing updates from a cd

BobGuy©

A friend on dial up got a mandrake 9.1 update cd from http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/linux/c...dtl/product/155

So the question is, how would he use the update part of the MCC update packages section and have it locate this cd and only show which packages that needs to be updated, instead of going to the ftp source thats listed in the update ftp source now?

I have tried searching, but havent located anything on how this part is done.

Thanks, this one has me stumped. :?

If it is a Mandrake kernel rpm, you can install it with confidence. They design it to install alongside your existing kernel with another entry in your boot loader. So, you can boot to the old if the kernel is funky, and delete your old kernel only after you are satisfied that it all works.

I would install the kernel seperately, not as a part of a group of installs.

Updating from a cd is fine. You could do the kernel separately following these instructions:

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/kernelupdate.php

Normally, rpmdrake/mandrake update won't install a kernel by itself, but will give you the option to install kernel source and kernel doc for a new kernel. It is fine to do that but just as easy to do the urpmi route per instructions on the above url. Note that you have to specifically enter the complete rpm name/number of the kernel and not just the name of the package.

A good online tutorial for using a cd update source is found at:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jwrobinson/docs...owto/index.html

Specifically check out part 3 on urpmi.addmedia and I think you'll see what your friend needs to do.

edit: p.s. Make sure the newer kernel on the CD is NOT the kernel 2.4.21.0.24mdk-1-1.mdk.i586.rpm kernel as it had a security bug. If it is .18mdk or .25mdk you'll be fine.

if it's setup like ours in the download section that tyme is providing, then run MandrakeUpdate>choose a mirror and let it finish>edit updte_source to point to

removable://mnt/cdrom/path_to_rpm_dir

../path_to_hdlist

(or something like that...I'm not on linux to verify....on a network win98 getting updates :roll: ).

I don't even bother with this, just add it as another source and choose the updates myself, since the majority don't affect me it's not too much of a pain.

Specifically check out part 3 on urpmi.addmedia and I think you'll see what your friend needs to do.

Thanks kmack, I'll pass that url along to him, should do the deed. :)

Although I'm not sure how it will only show what packages need to be updated, instead of every package thats on the CD.