Persistent Java Problems

Guest chazdg

Guest chazdg

I am running Mandrake 9.1 and had java up and running flawlessly with Mozilla 1.3.1, Firebird 0.5 and Konqueror. I downlowded the tar.gz files for Mozilla 1.4 and Firebird 0.6 and then downloaded and installed the latest Sun Java plugin (J2SDK-1.4.2). I am using the correct new plugin per the Mozilla website. My problem is that java does not work with Mozilla 1.4 (I get a blank screen). Firebird crashes as soon as I open a website with java. Furthermore, java does not work with Konqueror anymore!

I am really stumped here. I decided to download Terxstar's version of Mozilla and the java rpm, and still have the same problem. Can anybody help me with this. I have been searching Google for an answer but I have had no luck. I then tried Opera 7.11 and you guessed it, java does not work. I even went as far as to try IBM java without any luck.

I have been using Mandrake since 8.1 and have never had a problem getting java up and running. Whats going on here? Any help is appreciated!

Welcome aboard,

First, Konq is dependant on Mozilla's plug-ins being in order.

Looking at my system, My java was installed here:

file:/usr/java/j2re1.4.1/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so

My current Mozilla is 1.3.1 and has a symlink pointing to java in:

file:/usr/lib/mozilla-1.3.1/plugins

If I check in KDE's control center, I will find (under webrowsing/ plugins) that the system checks for plugins in that folder and thus finds my java and works in Konq.

So I would first check to see if these things are pointing to the correct places and also check to see if they are enabled there.

Guest chazdg

Thanks for the warm welcome. I checked KDE and java is enabled globally. I also checked to make sure I used the GCC 3.2 plugin for Mozilla 1.4 and Firebird. Any ideas how to proceed? This is pretty strange.

Guest chazdg

Also, I want to be clear what happens with each browser. Konqueroer and Mozilla 1.4 does not display the java in a website, it just goes blank. Firebird crashes completely. Thanks again.

Might want to check this thread and try the newer java rpm:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=7430

Did we click that "scan for new plug-ins" button in the KDE panel?

I think I remember you may need mozplugger installed and to be sure there were no other java installs.

One way to check that java is installed correctly is to use console:

which java

or

whereis java

or you could click the about plug-ins under the Help menu in Mozilla. See what is listed there ?

another thought... have you tried several java test sites? Could just be a bad page your trying to load.

another idea I remember that people used to get java working was to install Limewire.

Guest chazdg

ok, I scanned for plugins in the KDE Control Panel. About plugins indicates that java is enabled. I tried to install mozplugger but I get an error message saying unable to install, installation aborted. I also did "which java". It indicated that I am using the correct java directory.

I also checked the other thread and tested that page, and it works. However, Yahoo does not or any other java page. This is in Mozilla 1.4. Firebird still crashes with that test page.

I am probably missing something very simple here. I may try to install Limewire next. Any other thoughts are apptreciated!

Quick thought, you have probably already checked this, though: Do you have the plugin installed in the right directories? I think for Moz 1.4 it's /usr/share/lib/mozilla1.4/plugins and for Firebird (on my system) it's ~/Downloads/MozillaFirebird/plugins

Make sure you only have one version of the java plugin present. I think by default it might go to /usr/share/lib/netscape/plugins but I'm not sure. Maybe that's just for the mplayer plugin.

Guest Reader

i'm just another n00b, but I'm trying to help here:

When trying to install LimeWire, I was prompted that Java was not in my path.

I made a symlink thusly:

ln -s /usr/java/j2re<version#>/bin/java /usr/local/bin

Not only was I then able to install and run LimeWire, my webpages also got a little livelier.

Just upgraded my mozilla and java and came up with another idea here.

When we did the command whereis java and it came up java: /usr/bin/java this may have been a bad sym link to the old java install. We need to update this after installing a newer java.

# cd /usr/bin

# rm java

# ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01/bin/java java

and Germ is correct that Mozilla wants the gcc 3.2 plugin. I also found that Konq seems to want the /ns4/libjavaplugin.so plugin instead. So to fix that I did this (Konq was already set to scan the netscape/plugins folder):

# cd /usr/lib/netscape/plugins

# ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns4/libjavaplugin.so libjavaplugin.so

a few days back I downloaded the newest version of hava and after that Mozilla, Firebird, and Konq were not running properly (basically crash on startup or crash on attempt to open a page that uses java). I could somehow fix it by first running the progs as root. After running them as root once, I have no problems. No clue what happened but might be worth a try.