Kppp problem

Leo

I tried to set up a firewall (using MCC) and ever since I did, I am unable to connect to my ISP. At first I could connect (using Kppp) however I was unable to collect or send mail and could not access any websites. Now I have tried to reconfigure the connection (using DrakConnect and Kppp) but cannot even get a connection (Kppp tells me that the username or password is not recognised however I am certain it is correct and can't see anything wrong with the settings).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Leo

• 2 weeks later...

I uninstalled shorewall which changed the error slightly. I can connect to the internet via my modem (I can hear all the right sounds) but no applications recognise that it is connected.

If I run kppp from the terminal after logging on I get the following:

[root@localhost leo]# kppp -T

Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

_KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root

DCOPServer up and running.

Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy

[root@localhost leo]# kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed

kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.

kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.

kdeinit: Exit.

[root@localhost leo]#

which I don't really understand, however when I change the owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix and rerun kppp I get:

[root@localhost leo]# kppp

DCOPServer up and running.

Opener: received SetSecret

Opener: received SetSecret

Opener: received OpenLock

Opener: received OpenDevice

Opener: received ExecPPPDaemon

In parent: pppd pid 2026

Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device

Kernel supports ppp alright.

Opener: received OpenResolv

Opener: received RemoveSecret

Opener: received KillPPPDaemon

In killpppd(): Sending SIGTERM to 2026

Opener: received RemoveLock

It was pppd that died

pppd exited with return value 5

Sending 2004 a SIGUSR1

[root@localhost leo]# Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy

kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed

kppp appears to run fine but nothing else seems to agree.

I have tried google and have found similar problems but no solutions, I have looked at the man pages for pppd (which I will admit I don't really understand) but nothing springs out. I have checked log files for any errors or messages but nothing appears out of the ordinary.

I have been trying to sort this for two weeks now and it is really pissing me off as it just makes me feel stupid :oops: . Any help (and an explanation if it is not too much trouble) would be really appreciated, even a shove in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

What's your setup? Any eth cards configured? Network? Usually this means the sys thinks the primary means to the internet is through the eth card or some other way. I have this prob with DrakGW (ICS) and use wvdial to get around it. Somehow, it works with wvdial and not with kppp :roll: . Wvdial is my preferred method anyway but kppp is quick and convenient if using kde. I'm a gnomer, but can't use gnome in ML9.1 for reasons....well, it would be offtopic :wink:

Oh, and 'what modem'?..and did you get all the updates for ML9.1, maybe via another OS onto cd from the Download link above?

OK my setup is:

750 Athlon

15 GB generic harddrive

40 GB Maxtor second hardrive

Conexant 56K modem

creative soundblaster

nvidia tnt2 video card

no ethernet cards or network

dual boot mandrake 9.0/ win 98

I use Gnome as it seems faster

Mandrake was installed from the powerpack edition however I have not installed amny updates as it takes too long on my connection whihc cuts out after 2 hours use (back when it worked :) )

The drivers for the modem are the most recent I could find (a few months ago) as I could not get it to work without them.

Would I be better off trying wvdial?

:? have you checked /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/ppp/resolv.conf for nameserver (dns) entries? If the conexant modem is dialing then it's working. I know, I had the HSF on linux for over a year, so I also understand your connection being dropped. This is one reason I used wvdial, it seemed to hold a better connection for some strange reason. Wvdial has been labeled the 'miracle dialer' because of it's ability to connect when other dialup-utils have failed. I'd give it a go. Setup is somewhat a pain (text file) but its fast/light/and dependable. Use the

Stupid mode=yes

line.

Wvdial can also be pointed to (in the HSF case)

Modem=/dev/ttySHSF

instead of

Modem=/dev/modem

Lots of threads about it on the forum.

I did check the resolv.conf files however as I don't really know what I am doing I could well have missed something obvious :oops: . What should the dns entries be (my ISP's IP address?)

I will give Wvdial a go although it feels like giving up and I hate to be beaten by a machine :)

My /dev/modem is a symbolic link to /dev/ttySHSF would I be able to use Modem=/dev/modem in this case?

Many thanks for your help

Leo

What should the dns entries be (my ISP's IP address?)
Some (like mine) ISP's give you (sometimes you have to ask) a dns address. It's not the IP. Wvdial has a

Auto DNS=

option so if you don't have and/or can't get an asigned dns

Auto DNS=on

Also, what's in /etc/ppp/options? Check that it has these...

noauth

noipdefault

usepeerdns

Yes, wvdial can use /dev/modem and/or /dev/ttySHSF

:D I added the lines you suggested to /etc/ppp/options and now when I connect the connection is recognised by both galeon and evolution (MCC also recognises it).

However, I still get all the error messages described above when I run it from the terminal. I'm not as bothered since it obviously works, however I am curious as to why they appear and what the changes you advised actually do. Where would be the best place to read up on them?

Thank you very much for your help

Leo

kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed

these are just normal kde errors that do not mean much of anything. Are they the ones you are referring to?

What should the dns entries be (my ISP's IP address?)

Yep

Leo, when I used Kppp it was set up like this:

$ cat /etc/ppp/options

lock

noauth

noipdefault

usepeerdns

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf

search lani.net <-----------put your ISPs name here.

nameserver 209.208.0.2 <--my ISPs DNS IP

nameserver 209.208.0.3

$ cat /etc/ppp/resolv.conf

nameserver 209.208.0.2

nameserver 209.208.0.3

$ cat /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost

Never needed wvdial, as Kppp always worked for me here. :D

Never needed wvdial, as Kppp always worked for me here
Do you have a conexant HSF/wincrap_not_suppose_to_work_in_linux hunk of junk, always having devfs point /dev/modem to a wrong ttyS, with a connection that drops every hour, and a stupid (no longer use them) ISP with some half rigged service that uses piss poor Standard Win Chap? You'd use wvdial too :lol: :wink: After swithching to MyLinuxISP (yes, ran with linux) that same modem on the same install would stay conected for 6 and up hours at higher speeds.

Are they the ones you are referring to?

Yes, but also I am still getting the other errors.

I guess if it works I shouldn't really complain (I'm whining about aesthetics now... :wink: )

BobGuy: thanks for the code, mine looks similar now.

Leo