New system, no onboard graphics... No x windows

xboxboy

Hi all,

I've finally got my new system up and running. I've installed Mandy 2008 DVD, as thats what I have used in the past (Also have 2008.1 cd's, that install actually broke on me, and I'm not sure if the cd's are the same as the DVD?).

Install went well. No dramas at all. Upon reboot, I get dumped at a terminal and I use XFdrake, but dont have any luck.

I'm using an acer x213w if that changes anything. Video card is a Nvidia EN9400GT, with 512mb so should be quite nice for my bit of doodling around.

As always any help most appreciated. Thanks.

scarecrow is telling you that your version of Mandriva (2008.0) does not have the latest nvidia driver 177.80.

If you want to install this driver you will need to download it from nvidia's website.

If I were you I would try to install 2008.1 or 2009.0 instead. These versions will certainly have newer drivers that may work with your card.

The driver that supports the 9400GT is only available in 2009.0 in non-free/backports. Not available in 2008.1 at all. It's just that your card is so new it's only supported in the 177.8x Nvidia proprietary driver which is not available in 2008.1.

So you can install 2009.0 and if you get the blank screen problem, run XFdrake and choose the Xorg "nv" driver. And install the Nvidia driver from non-free/backports.

Your other choice is to install the Nvidia proprietary driver from nvidia.com , it could be a bit tricky though.

Edited by medo3891

Installed 2008.1, run XFdrake, could then start x windows. Perfect.

Installed kernel devel, download and installed the nvidia driver. On my last system when I loaded x, it would display a big Nvidia symbol, it doesn't do it on this one, is this normal now??????

I installed from the free, 3 cd's and I cant get compiz running, packages are missing, so I'll have to down load these.

Thanks all

Yes, the nvidia splash screen is normal.

You can disable it by adding a line

Option "NoLogo" "true"

to the "Screen" portion of your xorg.conf

For enabling compiz, you need a bit of xorg.conf tweaking. See for example here:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA

and here:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Composite

These are for another distro, but apart from the installation instrucions everything else applies for any regular distro. The Gentoo wiki had an even more detailed guide, but unfortunately this great wiki had gone south, and it's been rebuilt from scratch...

You can also test your luck by simply running the command

nvidia-xconfig --composite

as root, but having some control over your settings is IMHO a wiser choice.

Edited by scarecrow

• 3 weeks later...

Scarecrow,

When x windows load I dont have the logo. :( I would like the logo if possible.

Here is part of my current xorg file

Section "Device"
Identifier	 "device1"
Driver		 "nvidia"
BoardName	  "NVIDIA GeForce 9300 and later"
EndSection

the backup xorg has the driver as nv so it looks like it installed the proper nvidia driver.

First of all, I'd forget the logo for the time being, and run glxgears to see if you've actually got the right speed. If it's using nv, or attempting to use nvidia when it's missing, you'll soon know by the rate shown via glxgears. If you see a rate around 4000fps then you've got the nvidia driver installed. Anything a lot less than this, and you're using the nv driver.

The logo is the least of your worries, it's better to ascertain that you have the right speed first and that it's all working correctly.

Thanks Ian just run glxgears from a konsole and this is the result:

[matthew@localhost ~]$ glxgears
39955 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7990.882 FPS
40594 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8118.642 FPS
41426 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8285.167 FPS
41467 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8293.237 FPS
41445 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8288.921 FPS
41444 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8288.725 FPS
41441 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8288.069 FPS
41441 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8288.190 FPS
41414 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8282.750 FPS
41404 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8280.760 FPS

So it appears the nvidia driver is installed correctly yes?

Ian, I think it might help to actually say how to do the glxgears test rather than just refer to it.

I don't know how to do it and I am sure most newcomers don't know either, although you obviously could do it in your sleep.

Cheers. John.