I just found this - useful for ex-windows users?

liquidzoo

I just found something called XPde. It's a Windows XP-like interface for Linux. Would this be useful for someone migrating from Windows to Linux? What fo you think? Would you recommend/install it on a friend/spouse/loved one/mortal enemys computer to get them to try Linux?

It was designed to make the transition easier for people moving from windows, presenting them with a familiar interface.

I have not used it myself, but it is a good idea. In fact, I think I am going to try it out as soon as I have some time...

I agree with tyme, learning to use the right tools from the beginning is the correct approach, but look at how different KDE is from Gnome and Fluxbox... and all the other WMs and DEs, most of them have a unique approach.

I still think this could be usefull in some situations...

In my bar ... after inexplicably loosing a disk I did a quick hack from an old machine with Flux and ICEWM only and stuck it in the powerhouse (by comparison) Celeron 533 (zoom)

Anyway, I ended up putting ICEWM with the XP theme....

Seems to confuse Windows people less than Fluxbox ....

I was just looking around and found that last night. I thought it might be useful if you really wanted to get someone on Linux but they absolutely refused to move from Windows. Maybe even as a prank? I agree that if you're going to learn Linux, you should do it right from the begining; but maybe this might be a way to get someone comfortable with the fact that they are not running M$ before you got into the meat of KDE, Gnome, IceWM, Flux....

I personally think it would be easier just to create a theme for KDE or Gnome and create some apps that emulate the WinXPee way of doing things (i.e.: control panel, windoze exploder, etc.)

I do too. I think LindowsOS has those features, or something similar. I personally don't find anything wrong with MCC for a control panel or MozillaFirebird for my browser; but then again, I have used Mandrake for a long time and I am used to these apps. I can see how they would be confusing for someone who is just switching from Windows to Linux to use the apps that are available, so maybe an alternate that would do the same things, but emulate the look and feel of something they are more used to would be good.

It's been a while since I've done a fresh install, is there an icon on the default desktop (KDE or Gnome) that will put you on the internet right away? I don't remember there being a Mozilla or Opera or Konqueror or Galleon icon on the desktop. One of the first things you notice when you install Windows (from 95 on up) is that there is an Internet Exploder icon on the desktop. Maybe that should be a suggestion we could put up to help others migrating from M$ to Linux for ease of migration. I know that there is an icon in Kicker for internet, but a lot of people look on the desktop for that icon and don't think to look on the kicker (especially coming from XP where the quicklaunch is turned off by default)

I need the browser identification features of konqueror to use my company's website to stay current with my pending cases. I like Mozilla though.

It depends on your distribution whether there is an icon on the desktop to dial-up to the internet. In SuSE, they have it set to load kinternet by default in the system tray. Usually there is an icon on the desktop which launches the distribution company's website.

Philosophically, this is an admission that linux is emulating windex. Big big mistake.

I first used windex with 3.0. I then went to 3.1, and of course, 3.11. They were similar and easy to manipulate. Then 95 came along and really changed. Manipulating was ok when you found the files. 98 changed again. With me, the whole system changed. xp/xp pro is totally and completely different. So, windex makes dramatic changes with no negative pr. :shock:

Using linux is no different than switching various windexes. Linux should be learned for what it is. In my opinion, saying that it is "easier to transition" is simply saying "we need to fool you in order to use our os and get you away from the real os."

No, thanks! :wink:

We could argue the idea all day, but the real question is: Will M$ attempt to do anything about someone copying there shit, in a very direct way?

I know that they have not used M$ logos, etc. etc. but the M$ I know will find some stupid way to kick up a fuss... or not?

Come to think of it, I guess they'll just let it fly.