creating new partition with diskdrake?

Guest quakey

Guest quakey

Hi,

I just created a new parition with DiskDrake and it's hdb5. However, when I try to mount it, it says the device hdb5 doesn't exist. I look under /dev, and it's not there.

I think if I reboot, the device may get created or not. I don't know since I haven't rebooted yet and I don't want to reboot. I want to learn how to do this without rebooting. So how can I get my linux to recognize the new partition? Thank you!

Guest quakey

LOL...

I know...but I was just wondering if there is a way to do it without a reboot.

No, DiskDrake didn't ask me to reboot. It did modify the fstab tho.

BTW, I still haven't rebooted yet...waiting for a solution...hehe

hi,

i'm not good at linux but it seem to me this is a case where there is no shame at rebooting ;-)

doesn't DiskDrake ask you to do so ?

roland

always tell diskdrake to format twice, because sometimes it will not. Also, as you tried already, always check that the new partitions are there and can mount. If you tranfer data to the new, alway check that it's there b4 deleting from the old. No, I d/k why it does it :roll: :wink:

Guest quakey

Still not working...

I tried both DrakDisk and fdisk command to create a new partition but none of them worked! No device files were created. I am getting frustrated.

It's so weird. I can SEE the new partitions I created in DrakeDisk or in fdisk (with the p command), but there is not device file for the partitions.

Someone please help. Thank you.

always tell diskdrake to format twice, because sometimes it will not. Also, as you tried already, always check that the new partitions are there and can mount. If you tranfer data to the new, alway check that it's there b4 deleting from the old. No, I d/k why it does it :roll:  :wink:

Possibly a stupid question, but is the new partition FAT32? I had problems with making one of those before in Linux. My eventual solution was to create in Disk Drake, then reboot to Windows and format it there. Hey presto next time I booted to Linux it worked.

Can you tell me how you created it?

Was there already some empty space?

Or did you delete one or more other partitions?

Doing this without rebooting can only be done in certain cases; I had a completely clean, new drive and it was no problem to start using the partitions after partitioning and mounting.

Once I had only changed some partitions, and then it really required a reboot. It told me so by the way.

Once I really messed up, trying to combine a primary partition with 2 partitions in the extended logical part. Diskdrake told me it was ok.

The resulting 2GB partition even shows up, but the size is only 750MB.....

That was on mdk8.1 or so....

I never had problems creating, formatting and mounting fat32 partitions without rebooting btw... since mtweidmann had, your mileage may vary ;)

Guest quakey

Not fat32. Ext3 actually.

Thank you.

Possibly a stupid question, but is the new partition FAT32?  I had problems with making one of those before in Linux.  My eventual solution was to create in Disk Drake, then reboot to Windows and format it there.  Hey presto next time I booted to Linux it worked.

Guest quakey

In the case of DiskDrake, I clicked on an unallocated space (empty or white) and then clicked Create. I chose Ext3 and /freespace as the mount point. Cliked Done. Done again, and it asked me if it's ok to write the partition table to disk, i said yes. Then I clicked Done again, it asked if it's ok to modify fstab. I said yes again. The clicked Done, finally got out of DiskDrake.

It never asked me to reboot. I actaully tired to reboot, but I got file system error at boot. I had to remove the lines that mounts the new partition in fstab in order to successfully boot again.

I just created another partition again. Still no device file. I am sure I wo'nt be able to boot again unless I get rid of the new line DiskDrake put in fstab.

Thank you.

Can you tell me how you created it?

Was there already some empty space?

Or did you delete one or more other partitions?

Doing this without rebooting can only be done in certain cases; I had a completely clean, new drive and it was no problem to start using the partitions after partitioning and mounting. 

Once I had only changed some partitions, and then it really required a reboot. It told me so by the way.

Once I really messed up, trying to combine a primary partition with 2 partitions in the extended logical part. Diskdrake told me it was ok.

The resulting 2GB partition even shows up, but the size is only 750MB.....

That was on mdk8.1 or so....

I never had problems creating, formatting and mounting fat32 partitions without rebooting btw... since mtweidmann had, your mileage may vary ;)

Still no device file
:?: If I create a partition and give it a mount point of /freespace, then do ls /, and there's not a freespace dir;

mkdir -p /freespace

mount /dev/hdx (x for whatever you created)

Is that what you mean? I've never heard of diskdrake not creating the mount point. You should not have to do this.

I clicked on an unallocated space (empty or white) and then clicked Create. I chose Ext3 and /freespace as the mount point. Cliked Done. Done again, and it asked me if it's ok to write the partition table to disk, i said yes. Then I clicked Done again, it asked if it's ok to modify fstab. I said yes again. The clicked Done, finally got out of DiskDrake.
You never clicked Format?
I actaully tired to reboot, but I got file system error at boot
That's because it was trying to mount an entry in fstab for a partition you never formated. (Click Format)

When you tell diskdrake all the required info, it writes the partition table and sets up fstab, BUT it does not format. You have to click the partition again, look to the right pane and you see "Not Formated">Click Format. If you click on an old partition you know is formated and look in the rt pane it'll say "Formated"

Guest quakey

Whan I say there is no device file, i mean there is no a corresponding device file in the /dev directory. For example, hdb5.

The mount point was created(i.e. /freespace exists).

When I created the new partition, DiskDrake shows that the new partition is hdb5 but there is no /dev/hdb5. I also did click on Format button but it still didn't work.

I thought about using format command to format myself, but I can't even do that since there is no /dev/hdb5!

Help...Thank you.

Still no device file
:?: If I create a partition and give it a mount point of /freespace, then do ls /, and there's not a freespace dir;

mkdir -p /freespace

mount /dev/hdx (x for whatever you created)

Is that what you mean? I've never heard of diskdrake not creating the mount point. You should not have to do this.

I clicked on an unallocated space (empty or white) and then clicked Create. I chose Ext3 and /freespace as the mount point. Cliked Done. Done again, and it asked me if it's ok to write the partition table to disk, i said yes. Then I clicked Done again, it asked if it's ok to modify fstab. I said yes again. The clicked Done, finally got out of DiskDrake.
You never clicked Format?
I actaully tired to reboot, but I got file system error at boot
That's because it was trying to mount an entry in fstab for a partition you never formated. (Click Format)

When you tell diskdrake all the required info, it writes the partition table and sets up fstab, BUT it does not format. You have to click the partition again, look to the right pane and you see "Not Formated">Click Format. If you click on an old partition you know is formated and look in the rt pane it'll say "Formated"

Guest quakey

I've downloaded and installed everything in Mandrake Update. What other updates are there??

Thank you.

I think bvc might be on to something. But if that doesn't work, make sure you've downloaded and installed all the updates. I had problems with diskdrake until I did. Some of those updates specifically deal with bugs in diskdrake IIRC.

Guest quakey

I think I got it to work...

I believe, at least on my system, I have to REBOOT the computer after creating a new partition in order for the device file to appear. However, since DiskDrake adds the new mount point to fstab immediately after I create a new partition, it just won't boot up.

So basically I have to create a new partition in DiskDrake and NOT allow DiskDrake to adds new line to fstab. Reboot. Then format. Then add the new mount to fstab manually.

I'm glad that it's working now.

Thank you for all your help!

What happens when you do click Format?