how to manually install drivers?

Guest bryenski

Guest bryenski

I am trying to install 10.1 on my dell inspirion 1501 via a DVD,

for some reason after I boot the disk, and it gives me the option to install or upgrade,

it says error:cannot locate cdrom,

I figured I would just install from a usb drive, which was fine, but when it came down to where I was going to install the OS my internal HD did not show up.

I GUESS that I have to install drivers for the cdrom and the HD before I continue installing dont I?

How would I go about this? (keep in mind my laptop does not have a floppy drive)

Guest bryenski

I dont think anything is really wrong with the hardware itself cause I just reinstalled winXP (for 30 days) and everyone works fine.

Thanks for that other part, even tho it is refering to Mac OSX I can probably do the same thing with mandriva

However its also alot of work, would you or anyone know a good linux distro that doesnt have this problem with dell laptops? (mandriva installed awesomely on my desktop, Ill keep it dual booted on there, but I want my laptop to be mainly linux

I kept running into problems with my wife's Dell Inspiron 1501. So far, the best results I have are with Mandriva 2009, although for some reason 3D is not working right. I have the same 3D problems with my work's Samsung R40, though… both are using fglrx.

Only with Mandriva 2009 did I achieve complete compatibility: ethernet, wifi, sound, applications… With earlier Mandriva versions, I kept running into weird problems with open-office or boot or usb/irq… and Wifi was mostly useless.

Yves.

Seems to be duplicate post of this:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=73124&hl=

I'll move this one shortly into mods holding, since it's a duplicate of the other post. Please don't create the same post more than once.

Already Mandrake 9.2 supports SATA and also ; as well as ; 10.1, write something more about one's main plate, and if you will take off ( you have to instruction always some kernels) from CD this change kernel on newer. If no, thigh taste yourself installation from hard disc, and take newest version best 2009 even mini-iso ...Lex