Stupid Mutt Tricks

Guest BooYah

Mutt setup can be a strain on the brain, but it's worth it. If anyone wants some help with Mutt let me know. I've been using it a while now and have the basics fairly well figured out or can tell you where to get help if a question gets beyond me and the manual doesn't do it. The "help" I gave bvc was just sending him some quickly (and badly) hacked copies of Sven Guckes' (cranky Mutt guru) setup files.

That was back when I'd just started using Mutt. Since then, I've done a lot of tweaking. I think I have a much more pleasant color setup now, especially for w/transparency, but they're easy to change if you think mine suck. (Sven *really* liked colors - I think he got his color set from a peacock...)

The Mutt setup files I'm using now are still based on Sven's original files, but are smaller and simpler. I've cleaned out a lot of stuff, straighted things up for readablilty and added some comments. Still got a couple of minor issues I haven't had time to worry about, but they're regarding my particular preferences. These setup files should be very usable for most people. I'd be glad to send them to anyone wanting to try Mutt. It really is terrific and will break your GUI dependencies.

Anyone wanting to try slrn (Mutt's newsreader cousin) can contact me also. Like Mutt, it'll do some cool stuff, like for instance put your uptime in headers to whizzoff Windoze lusers - almost anything is possible with some effort. I've got slrn setup with a transparent color scheme like Mutt, with similar colors for consistency, as I do Midnight Commander.

Sure, I got no problem with that. They're much improved over what I sent you long ago. Sven puts *lotsa* stuff in his. I've tried to trim them down without cutting useability or flexibility, along with adding a bit of my own stuff and a general cleanup to make everything more readable and clearer. There's still things I left in even though it's commented out, just for examples or explanation. I think I've got them to the point now they should be ok for beginners, both to use everyday and to learn more about Mutt.

Anyway, yeah, I could easily work up some "generic" versions (my personal stuff edited) of my Mutt and slrn config files that you could put up. If possible, they should be posted with a little explanation and maybe a few links to more info.

Cool! When you're ready either contact me or an admin. I know you're busy, busy, so we'll be patient :wink: I really think more would try it if setup was a lot easier and they could learn the details at a slower pace. It is overwhelming at first as is, IMO.

Guest BooYah

Awesome!

Mine's coming along pretty nicely, colors and a transparent Eterm. I can see now why Mutt is so acclaimed.

One thing I'm having a problem with and can't find an answer for: Mutt is not marking messages New, Old, Read or Unread or flagging folders with new messages. I've already tried changing the atime and mtime with touch, but it still doesn't work. I'm using MH boxes, so I can share mail with Sylpeed.

My dog fetches the mail, But won't send the mail. I've given him sendmail to eat, masqmail to eat, what am i doing wrong? Please, i don't want to have to put him down!!

James

1)The error given is:

could not set gid to 0. Is the setuid bit set? : Operation not permitted

2)My Sendmail section of my dog's breakfast (.muttrc)

# Sendmail ############################################################$

set use_8bitmime = no

set sendmail = "/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -oi

set sendmail_wait = 0

#set dsn_notify = ""

#set dsn_return = ""

3) /usr/sbin/sendmail is a symlink to /usr/bin/masqmail

Looks like it wants to use sendmail and can't find masqmail. The symlink isn't doing it for you, for whatever reason. In mine, /usr/sbin/sendmail is the executable, there is no /usr/bin/masqmail. Just uninstall masqmail and install sendmail, then I betcha it goes. Never heard of masqmail anyway...

It may take 2-3 days for me get to those files. I sprouted another problem. My / partition has suddenly decided it's not 27% but 100% full and I've gotta try to find a fix or reinstall so I can reformat /. Right now a kernel panic is a sure thing if I have to reboot. I may be off-line for a bit. Promise I'll post them pretty soon...sooner if find a fix. Gone to see if I can Google my way outta this...

I have all the Mutt and slrn config files ready to upload. Let me know what's next.

This includes a complete set of config files for both and even a couple of nice extra macros I found for slrn.

The color setup files are ready as is for transparency with dark backgrounds as most lettering is light. Setup of aliases is up to the user 'cause I just don't fool with 'em. Instead, I use and recommend abook.

There's plenty of comments in the config files to explain things, so most stuff can be figured out by just reading the files and changing any entries as needed for the user's particular preferences and setup. Just edit and copy the files to the proper places (listed at the top of each file) be sure to have sendmail installed and you should have Mutt or slrn pretty well configured and ready to go. If Mutt or slrn won't go starting it from a menu or icon, try starting it from a console and see what error messages you get. Mutt in particular is very good about telling you where problems are. Endless tweaks are possible if you don't like things the way they are. Just don't blame me if some hook or something you want is missing...:-)

Here's some links that are handy:

Mutt:

http://www.ucolick.org/~lharden/learnmutt.html

http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/mutt/

http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/mutt/manual.html

http://support.ossifrage.net/plaintext/abook.txt

SLRN:

http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/FIRST_STEPS

http://ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca/howtos/slrn.html

http://www.geocities.com/tsca.geo/slang/ext_header.txt

BTW, if anyone has a clue what I should do about my full / partition problem I'm ready to listen to anything. I posted about it in some detail in hardware. This seems to be a problem that happens now and then that nobody has an answer to.

Looks like it wants to use sendmail and can't find masqmail.  The symlink isn't doing it for you, for whatever reason.  In mine, /usr/sbin/sendmail is the executable, there is no /usr/bin/masqmail.   Just uninstall masqmail and install sendmail, then I betcha it goes.  Never heard of masqmail anyway...

It may take 2-3 days for me get to those files.  I sprouted another problem.  My / partition has suddenly decided it's not 27% but 100% full and  I've gotta try to find a fix or reinstall so I can reformat /.  Right now a kernel panic is a sure thing if I have to reboot.  I may be off-line for a bit.  Promise I'll post them pretty soon...sooner if find a fix. Gone to see if I can Google my way outta this...

no, the symlink is fine. I used sendmail for a while not long ago. I couldn't send in Mutt, but I could in Pine. However it took about 3 minutes to send.

• 2 weeks later...

There is now a new README file which should be a little more helpful. And remember, there are config files for both mutt and slrn.

Anyone who tries these out, as bvc says, please post your comments or questions here. These setup files were done in a way that should make them mostly self-explanitory and easy for new users get up and running with mutt and/or slrn with quite a few features enabled for a minimum of hassle. I'd like to hear all comments. If you think these config files suck large, ok I'm a big boy, I can take it. If you think they're great, don't tell me just send money! ':D'

If anyone who tries these and would like to try writing up something for Tips 'n Tricks, feel free. It would probably be better to have that written from the perspective of a new mutt/slrn user who was trying to do setup for the 1st time.

Thanks to bvc and anon for getting this stuff on the server. Hope they'll help someone get going.