Stupid Mutt Tricks

Guest BooYah

Guest BooYah

BooYah wrote this post in another thread....then I took it way off topic. So this is the new.....and here's the old;

Email Recommendations

split and edited by bvc

Sylpeed-claws formats the html into text pretty well with clickable links. If I want, I click on a link and MozFirebird opens that link, or use MozFirebird to read the html version of an email (like what aru wrote about). Mutt is just too damn ugly for me.

:shock:

Mutt is just too damn ugly for me
Ever seen it in a halfscreen Eterm with no borders, or titlebar, and 100% translucent with nice colors for the diff text tags?....it's beuatiful IMO, 5x times faster than any gui client, and it can do just about anything........why aren't I running it any more?.....takes a lot to set it up to my standards (perfection) and I've gotten lazy :wink:

:lol: ..now if I won't make the time to set it up for myself, and to suggest the FAQ here on the forum and only do one little 5 min. jobber, what makes you think I'd do a Tips&Tricks on it? :lol: . I'm not trying to be rude but aside from the help that Crashdamage gave me, everyone has access to the same google I do :wink:

.why aren't I running it any more?.....takes a lot to set it up to my standards (perfection) and I've gotten lazy

Guest BooYah

It sounded like you had it set-up nicley once before. You can't just tell us how nice it is and then just leave us hanging vanish.gif :wink:

I'm not trying to be rude but aside from the help that Crashdamage gave me, everyone has access to the same google I do

TIme for me to whine. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of googling everytime I have a question about linux. Someday, this place will be the ultimate one-stop database for linux intel, and I just thought a simple step-by-step Tips&Tricks article about how to set-up Mutt, since some many people speak so highly of it, would be great additiion. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious about it, but either doesn't have the time to read all the documentation, or is just too lazy to set it up nicely.

Who knows? You've defintely sparked some interest in me, maybe I'll do it myself. Coming in 2027, BooYah's Mutt 1.4 HOWTO :lol:

To do a Tips and Tricks would basically require doing it again......not happening :wink: ....not to mention to set it up rEAly nice would make it a rEAly loOOog Tips and Tricks.

I think it would be great, and would be even better if input came from serveral mutt users.*cough*[aru...Crashdamage]*cough* (I know you two are short on time as well). If mutt was easy to setup....more would use it. What would realy be nice is to have a generic ML tarball with all the necessary files, that after editing a few preferences like with any email client, it's ready to roll. Then the Tips and Tricks would be "download the mutt-ML.tar.gz>unpack it to ~/.mutt>edit bla bla.....Now, if you want tranparency, and colors/text tags (whatever) bla bla bla.

Guest BooYah
Variables are from mutt v1.2.5.

But will that work for 1.4?

I did find this, My First Mutt It looks pretty good.

Right now I can't even see my emails in mutt. It's not giving me the "message view" in all of my folders. Instead I get a file listing in some. :(

I like your idea ,bvc. For now, what if we just started a "Stupid Mutt Tricks" thread, and then as we figure things out, or when the people who've got it down already have time, can post a tweak or two?

But will that work for 1.4?
D/k? probably for the most part. You're making me want to do this again :evil: :roll: :wink:

TIme for me to whine. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of googling everytime I have a question about linux
I'm with ya on that!

man those are some ugly screenshots :lol: ....I've been trying to find a few I kept....but....uuuuh.....I guess I didn't keep them like I thought I did :unsure:

Guest BooYah

And for my first Stupid Mutt Trick:

touch .xmhcache

<Audience gasps as Mutt is now able to read Sylpheed's MH mailboxes>

Do this in sylpheed's folders so Mutt recognizes files as email, otherwise you'll get a file listing.

Guest BooYah

I can't get all the colors to work in mutt.

For example:

If I use Eterm -f gold. I get an Eterm with gold text. If I use the code below in .muttrc, when I start mutt from an Eterm I get an error

gold: no such color

color header            gold    default "date: "

Any ideas why? I've already tried adding this to my .bash_profile

TERM=Eterm

export TERM