Canon S520 with MDK9.1

jeanrev

Hi,

I downloaded a rpm packet from the turboprint site (www.turboprint.de) in order to install my canon S520 printer and saved it on a iomega ZIP disk

Now this packet is not installed

what should I do in order to follow the turboprint setup description which follows below ?

The following steps should be followed to install TurboPrint on your Linux workstation and to setup your printer.

Please follow the same instructions if you want to install TurboPrint as an update over an already installed previous version. Your saved settings will not be deleted.

You must be logged in as "root" for the installation process. If you are not logged in as "root", you can temporarily switch to root by entering in the shell window:

xhost +

su root

export DISPLAY=:0.0

The commands "xhost +" (give other users access to the X display) and "export DISPLAY=:0.0" (set the X display environment variable) make sure that programs can open windows on the X display after switching to root. After entering "su root" (switch to root login) please enter the password for root.

Installation must be started from a shell window. The installation directory must be made current directory:

cd turboprint-1.xx

where "xx" stands for the current TurboPrint version, e.g. "1.60".

Start the installation script: ./setup

I am stuck on the first step

thanks for your help

Wow, didn't now the Turboprint setup was so sofisticated.

Ok, first of all, did you try to set your printer from the Mandrake Control Center before? If you didn't, look inthere, there is a nice wizard that will guide you through the necessary steps to configure your printer.

If the MCC does not recognizes your printer then YES you have to use the Turboprint driver. The procedure your copy-pasted here is pretty straight forward. Basically you have to open up a console (you know the black thing that look like DOS). Then you have to type in what they told you to type. Basically type

xhost + 

su root 

export DISPLAY=:0.0 

cd turboprint-1.xx

./setup

Of course unzip the driver before (type 'tar xvfz turboprint-1.xx.tar.gz'). Replace the xx by the version number. The setup windows should appear and follow the instruction ...

Isn't simple enought?

MOttS

Guest mahiles

If you're using Mandrake 9.1 then theres already a driver waiting for you. I have the same printer and all I did to set it up was Mandrake Control Centre > Hardware > PrinterDrake > Add a new printer and tell it to use the S500 driver, works perfect for me..

thank you motts :

of course I tried to install from the normal way but this is a newprinter and I saw its number provided on the turboprint site so I downloaded the rpm package and now I don't know what to do with it

it is needed to install the package on the PC first I think and I don't know how to do it

it is not listed in the rpm list

Hi jeanrev

I have check on the Turboprint website and found this:

http://www.turboprint.de/manual/turboprint...nt-3.html#ss3.1

According to this webpage, you don't have to go through all the steps you wrote upthere (your first post). Actually you have to first install the RPM as follow:

bash-2.05b$ su

Password:

bash-2.05b# rpm -ivh turboprint-1.xx.rpm

and second you have to start the printer setup tool "xtpsetup" to choose a printer driver. So in the same console type

xtpsetup

and choose your printer ..

Good luck

MOttS

• 3 weeks later...
If you're using Mandrake 9.1 then theres already a driver waiting for you. I have the same printer and all I did to set it up was Mandrake Control Centre > Hardware > PrinterDrake > Add a new printer and tell it to use the S500 driver, works perfect for me..

I have the same printer, i add a new printer with S500 driver.

My problem is that i cannot print, sendind data the green led blinking and not printing at all...

Any idea what"s going on?

I have the same printer, i add a new printer with S500 driver.

My problem is that i cannot print, sendind data the green led blinking and not printing at all...

Any idea what"s going on?

Found this in linuxprinting.org :

"How come it doesn't print, even though the data light is blinking?

Enable Send EOF in the driver options...."

How can i set the "Send EOF" parameter in driver options?...Don"t see any relative field in driver options...

I'm now running into the same problem but can't find that "SEND of EOF" thing anywhere  :?

Think that we have to edit the relative .ppd file, ...but i don"t know the commands and parameters to do that. Just waiting for an expert to help...:)

SEND of EOF = Send of "End of File" command?