Why you might want MS to win a court case

mtweidmann

Micronobules has spent years infringing upon, stealing, and buying out other's ideas. This does not affect decent business people at all.

Micronobules has spent years infringing upon, stealing, and buying out other's ideas. This does not affect decent business people at all.

I'm sure you're right but is it at all possible that that this company could go on and sue other browser makers. The whole patent business seems awfully flawed. I'm as happy as the next person to see Microsoft finally get some payback but doesn't this set a bad precedent for other companies. Just wondering.

What would they sue in case of konqueror, galeon, etc?

They won't go for that since there's no money there. Now safari is potentially a different thing. But all in all, nothing to worry about,...

The only thing this makes me think of is what Bruce Perens proposed: include something in the GPL that says: if you sue any GPL software writer, then you may not use any GPL stuff anymore. His comment: if they are against us, the least we can do is make sure they don't profit from our work.

Think about it, with such a license, in a couple of years all companies entrenched with FLOSS, and then one company starting to sue, and having to supplant all FLOSS with proprietary stuff... If this would be included today, I think many companies, especially the big ones that are the ones that would sue, would be on their butt without FLOSS.....

why is it that the words "butt" and "floss" being in the same sentence makes me laugh?

anyways...

the question would be if such a clause in the GPL would be legal....but I guess if you agree to it, then you're legally bound to it.

I can't wait until some authority figure comes around and slaps these petty little bastards into the realization that they are destroying progress and innovation for the sake of money. make it free, quit the arguements, and lets move technology even faster.

I think this is all the patent offices fault. They will patent alything thing as long as they can't understand it. One nice example is they let a patent on the BYPRODUCT of a drug and stomic acid through for a drug company. Now no company can make a drug that causes the same byproduct.

They have let a patent on the effect of a program stand. Now no program that has the same effect, no matter how far removed the underlying code is, can ever be used without their fee and approval. Heck why don't I just patent the heating effect of electricity passing though a chip. Then every prossessor out there will have to pay me for heating the room.

Heck i could charge every user for the heat. Now the fee will be small but hey I figure 1 doller from everyone each year is a nice way to retire. :twisted::twisted::twisted:

The only thing this makes me think of is what Bruce Perens proposed: include something in the GPL that says: if you sue any GPL software writer, then you may not use any GPL stuff anymore. His comment: if they are against us, the least we can do is make sure they don't profit from our work.

That's no threat to this company; it's a patent holding company that does nothing but own patents and sue infringers. They could care less if they can't use gpl software. That's the danger with these kind of companies; you have very little leverage over them. And what if they go on to sell their patents to somone less benign in the future?