Email Recommendations

liquidzoo

Right now I'm using Sylpheed. I like it. Very fast, small program but it doesn't have everything I would like. Specifically I am looking for html mail support because I have several newsletters that come in html format and I want to be able to view them from my mail reader. I do, however, have some limitations:

I would prefer not to use mozilla mail.

Evolution and kmail are far too big for me.

I'm looking for something that is light and fast, maybe something that is not so well known but someone uses and likes a lot.

So, what do you think? Any recommendations?

My vote goes to mutt, a fast, light and powerfull mail user agent.

Can use vim as the editor which increases even more it's power.

To view html messages just instruct it to open your preferred browser through ~/.mailcap, ie:

text/html; opera -remote 'openURL(%s,new-page)'

The only problem you might find on it is that it's a text tool ;)

gui?....not kmail or evo? :? I d/k, how's sylpheed-claws coming along? It's been a long time since I tried it. Balsa claims very little html support :roll: but don't bother. All you get is clickable links :roll: . I used mutt, telling it to use dillo for viewing html, and it worked great.

What browser do you use? Opera's M2 is nice, and it's nice to have it all in one window/diff tabs. http://www.opera.com/products/user/m2/

LiquidZoo, so you don't need images, just html/text, rt? Balsa's not bad in that regard, and it is very light/fast. I'll have to give apt-get install pronto a shot but there's some deps to download so I'll do that later, and build an rpm pkg. If it works on my ML9.1, I'll let you know, and can send it your way or put it on the server.

I downloaded Thunderbird earlier and it's great!...so far. (thanks shen! I forgot about thunderbird because when I heard of it I was using mozilla-everything, but now I use mozilla-firebird)

I use MozillaFirebird as my browser. I love the tabbed browsing option, don't know how I ever got on without it. I will have to give thunderbird a try, balsa looks like what I want, though the particular newsletter I get (Tom's Hardware) comes in full html, looks like a big picture when I view it online. Wonder if I can change that?

split and edited by bvc

BooYah wrote this here....then I took it way off topic. So here's the new.....Stupid Mutt Tricks

Sylpeed-claws formats the html into text pretty well with clickable links. If I want, I click on a link and MozFirebird opens that link, or use MozFirebird to read the html version of an email (like what aru wrote about). Mutt is just too damn ugly for me.