umlauts

Guest sublime78ska

Guest sublime78ska

I am in the US. How do I type special characters like German umlauts? In windows I would press ALT-132, for example, to type a lowercase 'a' with an umlaut.

How do I do this in linux?

Thanks,

Phil

Guest sublime78ska

I don't think that'll help me. I have a us keyb. I don't know where the german-specific letters would be. I'd like to just be able to enter the us ascii-hex code that will display the non-us characters that I need.

Guest sublime78ska

After searching all afternoon, I´ve learned that I can do this using the compose key or by swithing my keyb to us international in mcc. The latter is nice because entering quote-a gives ä. However, to actually have the quote display you have to press the key twice. But the former sounds ideal for my case but I can get the compose key to work. It´s supposed to be the right windows key. Press it, the press the quote key, then press a. It should give ä. But I can´t make it work.

Anyone have any insights on the compose key? Where it´s defined, how I can change it, etc.

Thanks,

Phil

Guest sublime78ska

Figured out I need U.S. English w/ ISO9995-3.

I'm a bit dense, apparently, because it's exactly where WilliamS said for me to go to begin with.

:roll:

Phil

Here's the solution:

I'm in Houston, TX using a US keyboard, but I on my KDE panel, I have the Canadian Multilingual keyboard set as an alternative since I sometimes write in French and in German.

Hit the key to the right of the letter "P", then hit the e.

The key to the right of the letter "P" gives you the circumflex (circonflexe); then when hitting the letter e your result it:

ê

If I use the shift key with the key to the right of “P“, then a vowel, I get the UMLAUT over the vowel.

shift +key to the right of P+ a = ä. If I keep the shift key down, I get Ä .

For the German “scharfes S“ or “ess-tstett“, hold down the right ALT key and the letter “s“ to produce

the ß.

It only takes about a half-hour to play around with the Canadian multilingual keyboard to get the hang of it. It is my favorite for typing in German and in French.

Richard L.

It is not necessary to have a capital E with a circumflex, since it is not obligatory in French for capital accented letters to have the accents with them.