Strange USB memory card

Guest chancm

Guest chancm

I use a 32MB USB memory card to share files in my three Mandrake 9.1-installed machines between office and home. Until recently a strange thing has happened. When I copy anyfile from a manchine, let say M1, I can see the files from M1's Konqueror, but when the memory card inserted into either M2 or M3, it just disappeared. The worse thing is that any files copied to the card from either M2 or M3 also disappeared in M1's Konqureror. It make me frastuated as I need finish my works between office and home. Anyone know what's going on?

Don't know what is the permission setting on those cards when one put files on it but that may worth the check. It has to at least be

rwx---r--

so that anyone can read it. What about mounting the memory stick with the option 'umask=0'?

MottS

This sounds suscpisously like the same problems I had with a floppy.

It turned out it was just chaching the /mnt/floppy

Its disconcerting becuase you can open the file off the floppy/usb but when you move the media it isn't there.

I eventually worked out its some weird caching.... I copies from CLI, wait till its stops spinning and umount....

Annoying but ...

I use one to exchanga data from work (win98) to home (mdk9.1)

I realized that when I got the error about not being able to change permissions I had to wait until transfer was done before I closed the warning window, or I would "see" the file but it wasn't really there. I think it's what Gowator is describing.

Being flash memory are they formatted like other media? this was acting as though it was saving to a windows file system, but if you use it for all linux systems maybe it is a different scenario, but your problem describes what I was seeing exactly... do you get the "could not change permissions" error? I'm curious as to wether they are formatted like disks or not, being that they are just flash memory.

Guest chancm

Thanks to all of you though I still can't solve the problem. I think its not a matter of permission 'cos I'd copy the files right before version 9.1, whether its 9.0 or Redhat. Actually, its not only the problem of my USB memory card only. I also can't read anything from my floppies formatted by Redhat 8. It seems that MDK 9.1 has another serious bug besides the ADSL support.