mandrake 8.0

Guest SpaceCadet

Guest SpaceCadet

Ok, so I finally have linux installed but the mandrake 9.X cd1 wouldn't load the setup for some weird reason, but mandrake 8 went right in there. Now all my hardware works great except my video card. I went to the manufacturer's website to download the driver for my "S3 pro Savage DDR" video card. The file I have is called "xf43sav-27t.tgz". Can anyone tell me where to put this file so my system will recognize my card? Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks :) As soon as I get this comp working good I will update this version of mandrake to 9.0. Oh, and another thing, is that the iso's for the 3 installation CD's are 'Cd1 mandrake 9.2 cooker' and then CD2 & 3 are 9.1 distros. Just wondering if that has anything to do with me having troubles getting the installer to load. Thanks in advance!

:lol: :lol:

Ok, go get the correct cd1, and load all of mandrake 9.1. See if your video card works with 9.1 :wink:

Guest SpaceCadet

ok, I see. I think I was in the wrong link the first time, because the file structure was different. I could see a file in there called "mandrake security MND" or something like that. Anyway, thanks for the update, downloading the proper CD1 now and still anxios to try it all out! I was really very disappointed to have to install 8.0 so I'm looking forwards very much to 9.1 :) Another 3 hours 45 mins to go!

/stable = current version=safe

/cooker = beta= experimental=scary!!

You must be on dial-up, i see you only have d-loaded 2% @ 44kb/s

Don't forget to d-load the md5sum to check your d-load is OK.

Guest SpaceCadet

LOL dialup :) That pretty much sums it up, or as we call it here in BC, telus DSL. What do I do with the MD5SUM once it's downloaded?

============

update edit: ahh I see that it's a text file, OK.. no idea what to do with it though

============

Guest SpaceCadet

Burning the proper iso to disk now. Checked the downloads with md5sum and everything checks out perfectly. Will let u know how things go in a bit :)

Guest SpaceCadet

Nope same thing happens that happened with the 9.2 disk. In the GUI loader it goes through the loader bar right after I press enter for the first time, then the screen changes and it freezes. So I go to F1 at the start for advanced options and choose text install, and the last three lines before it hangs are:

Posix conformance testing by Unifix

Enabled ExtINT on CPU#0

ESR value before enabling vector: 00000002

Any thoughts?

Guest SpaceCadet

ok figured out the boot disk, still nothing. I went into cmos and reconfigured a bunch of settings and it is still freezing up at that point. I think it's my video card it doesn't like or something. It's really finnicky I hate that piece 'o. Anyway, I am gonna reflash Windows back to that machine and load it onto a machine I'm pretty sure will work. :)