Linux Mandrake 8.0 install questions

Guest SpaceCadet

Guest SpaceCadet

I want to install mandrake 8.0 onto a computer with a current version of Windows 98. I have to maintain data integrity on the windows installation unless I know FOR SURE that this distro of linux works on my computer. If it does then I will just transfer all the information to a different computer over the network and allow linux to take complete control of the computer. Once I have all the information I need I will try to set up Linux as a dual boot, and if everything works nicely I will wipe out Windows. What I would like to do is set up an FTP server because I know that the antivirus capabilities far outmatch those of Windows antivirus. We allready have an FTP server set up under windows (not the computer I will be setting up), and it is for a business, so I have to be extremely careful about doing things. What I really want to know is if the hardware that I have in this computer will match my linux distro, and everythign will sing nicely. The computer has integrated video and sound, and the motherboard is older, so I think everything will be ok, I just want to make sure that I know what I am doing before I go and install anything, as I am a total newbie at this. I have tried to install linux on a machine when I bought the distro 2 years ago and it didn't work, I think because I was using a voodoo card and my motherboard then was very finicky. Anyway, here are the specs for the hardware of the machine. Can anyone please tell me if Mandrake 8.0 will install onto this machine:

Processor: Athlon XP 1800+

Ram: 256MB (can upgrade to whatever needed if required)

Graphics Card: S3 ProSavageDDR

Cd-Rom: LG CRD-8521B

Modem: Viking EXT PNP (external modem)

Network Adapter: VIA Rhine II

Audio: VIA AC'97 Enhanced

=================

EDIT: I just checked my chipset heat sync on my motherboard and it says 'ECS Elitegroup' so I think that is the manufacturer of my MB. Not sure how to find out what the model is, if I do I will update further

=================

That's it. If there is a hardware conflict that anyone can see, please tell me what I need to do to fix it. I would liek to have all the information available before I do anything about this.

Also, once I have mandrake running, is it very difficult to set up an ftp server? I am a windows network admin, so I do know a bit about networking and know exactly how FTP works. I have port forwarding set up on my router so I can set it to any machine I would like. THANK YOU for any info anyone can provide on these issues.

some quick notes..

1. Get the latest version of Mandrake..

2. Backup win98 in case..

3. Read up on lilo and file /etc/lilo.conf and how to use it.

4. read up on file /etc/fstab and how to use it.

5. Safest route is to buy a second drive and install on that. That guarantees your windows is not going to have any problems.

6. Do not use Microsoft's fdisk application after installing Mandrake unless you are doing a simple fdisk /mbr (reinstalling the mbr).

7. When partitioning, use custom partitioning.

8. Check with linux.org for hardware compatibility. If unsure, go ahead and install. If it doesn't work, you will be the first to know :) Make sure you pay attention to #7.

9. Do not use any 3rd party boot managers. Unneeded and possibly dangerous.

10. Need a partition imaging software? Look at www.partimage.org.

/etc/lilo.conf is the configuration file for LiLO, lilo is a boot loader, it lets you choose which OS you wish to boot into.

/etc/fstab is the configuration file for the layout of your hard drive partitions in linux here is a good site about it.

Mandrake 8.2 sets that up that automatically, i never tried 8.0

Just a note, 8.0 was a notorius version. The next release, 8.1 actually had more bugs. If you need an older version, get 8.2. From my own experience, it was the most stable version. If all you have is 8.0, you will have to get some updates off the net in order for it to work correctly.

Listen to cannonfodder-- back up your data. The only time you will ever need a back up is when you don't do it!! :wink:

Guest SpaceCadet

also, that partimage looks like it can only be installed on a linux machine. How do I go about backing up a windows 98 partition because Iknow it can't be running and it can't be done through DOS either (dammit microblowz)

I believe that partimage can indeed be used to back up a fat partition, which is windex. Be sure to do a complete defrag before you back up.

I would try the 8.0 install, and then download the updates from mandrake or us! If you have a broadband connection and a burner, you could also download 9.1 from us.

Guest SpaceCadet

Well, today I went out and bought Norton Ghost 2003 and Partition Magic. So I have partitioned the drive to a small C: and a very large D:. I am going to back up C: and flash it to one of the other comps on the network, then do a complete wipe of the HD and install Linux.

As for the 8.0 update, is it possible for me to upgade to 9.1 without having to pay, as I have allready purchased this product, because I have both a CD RW drive, plenty of CD's and lots of broadband to spend.

============

Edit: Woops, I just realized that you said I can download it. May I please have the link for the distro, I would love to have it, thanks :)

Well, I ran 8.1 and slowly, and manually, almost had it completely updated when 9.0 was released. Manually because all the tools repeatedly failed. I think installing 8.0 and getting updates is out of the question, but that's JMO, from experience.

Why not move the data now to the other machine, and that be your bkup? That, or from what I've heard there're some really good, free, or free trial win-apps for partition imaging/bkups. Either way, do it b4 the install!

I just bought a new MoBo and looked at ECS's. The Windows Device Mgr should tell you what chipset. It's hard to say anything about your hardware because you'll be running an ooOOoold kernel on not very old hardware.....that's trouble.

Graphics Card: S3 ProSavageDDR (anyone know if this is the one that has the issues with 9.1...that can be resolved?)

Network Adapter: VIA Rhine II (I have it and it works in 9.1)

Audio: VIA AC'97 Enhanced (works....probably in 8.0...and that's probably not the actual card but just the controller)

If you go to Elitegroup's website, like most MoBo Companies, they probably mention how to determine which board/bios you have.

My suggestion? If possible, get 9.1.

Guest SpaceCadet

wait, the iso is like the boot up install for us n00bs right. I don't have to tweak anything just to get this thing working I hope.. is this like a distro?