email programms

Guest itti

hi

i'm using kmail at the moment but i plan to switch to a none kde application to be independend from kde. i read about evolution so far...

what do you think is the "best" email client out there for linux?

It really depends. Evolution is very good and powerful. Not only is it an email client, it is also a PIM, you can hotsync your palm to it, it can work with exchange, supports virtual folders, and has may other features. It's drawback; however, it's very slow. It takes several seconds for an email to appear once you click to view it. Then there is Sylpheed. It's very powerful in a different way. It's very fast and uses less resources. Everything you do in it is instantaneuous. It also supports newsgroups which Evolution doesn't support. There are many other email clients, but I would say those 2 would be the most popular.

You have to divert:

evolution is very similar to Outlook 2000. So it's a complete SUITE for EMail, contacts, calendar, etc........

On the other hand it is big and sometimes buggy. You have to close it normal. If you X-Kill or kill it, you can't access your emails (mbox), that you had loaded down. Very bad.

Of course, you can import the mbox somewhere else..

Evolution is infact capable of connecting to palm and will be better and larger in future, cause there are many interests in developping it.

If you just want to handle email, it's too big i think.

Take the mozilla one and you can access the adresses from the mozilla email-client from openoffice. Very interesting.

I vote for Mozilla for these reasons (that I all need):

- ability to create HTML messages with inline images,

- ability to define as many "identities" as wanted (I must have almost 10!),

- ability to use an LDAP directory for contact info,

- stability.

In fact, stability is a "relative" issue. What I mean is that it is much more stable than evolution for me. Otherwise, evolution would also be a good choice.

Yves.