linksys 300N router question [solved]

mindwave

a little more comples (for me anyway) question about my network setup.

I have a 2wire gateway/router from my phone company acting as my DSL modem router.

this thing is VERY delicate to say the least (this is the 3rd one in 6 months) so I REALLY dont want to change those settings if i dont have to.

Its a basic 4 port router along with a G wireless setup that plugs into the DSL line and gets my static IP address.

plugged into THAT (hardwired) about 200 feet away in my garage is my linksys 300 N series router.

I know N isnt an standard yet, but I do get better wireless range from it, PLUS it adds 4 more ports out in the garage for my pc's out there.

When I was running cable it was no biggie, it all came into the linksys and all was good.

however, now that I have the 2wire on the front end, it has assigned the linksys a completely DIFFERENT ip address (different range even from the 4 pc'd connected TO the 4 wire. Therefore the pc's in the garage are on the 209.26.150.X net and everything IN the house is on 10.0.0.X net.

All is well and good, UNTIL i want tp VNC/NX into a PC in the garage.

I can get in, from outside the house on the internet, to any PC in the house, but getting to anything in the garage (my pc's) is virtually impossible as far as I can get to work.

I found some instructions at linksys.com that tell me to turn OFF DHCP and NAT in the 300N, and in THEORY, it would turn the 300N into an old style "hub"

unfortunately all that did was kill all network connections to the garage.

let me try and draw it out:

INTERNET----->2WIRE------------->Linksys300N (209.26.150.X)---------->4 other pc's(209/26.150.x)

|________>4 PC inside the house(10.0.0.X)

I hope that helps, and I REALLY hope I can get this done. VNC is REALLY slow, and NX cant get through the linksys the way it is now, PLUS i cant get to the pc's i REALLY want to get to in the garage.

j

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

If you turn off NAT, everything would have to be on the same IP range. If not on the same IP range, then you need to check the routing on the 2wire or the LinkSYS to find out where you're being blocked.

Use traceroute command on your machine to find out where it gets to and where it gets blocked - does it get blocked and no further than the 2wire, or does it get blocked at the linksys.

Also, please post some more information - as in the interfaces on the 2wire, and what IP addresses are configured. Is it static or DHCP? The same for the linksys as well.

Chances are it's a routing problem because of the differing IP ranges.

issue resolved.

the ACTUAL problem i was having, and its pretty stupid, is that when i went to reconfigure the linksys i forgot to UNPLUG it from the 2wire.

see the 2 wire has a "smoke screen" hardwaired in, that as soon as it senses another router it assigns it a DMZ.

so all I REALLY had to do was, unplug the cat5 from between the linksys and the 2 wire.

reset the linksys (that took a while too), then turn OFF dhcp in the linksys, set the linksys to a STATIC ip address that was available from the 2 wire, SAVE it all.

(heres the biggie) and THEN plug a straight cat5 from an open port on the 2 wire, to a REGULAR port on the linksys (not the internet/uplink port)

of course NOW that all THAT is running, I need to go get another HUB, since its in a regular port in the linksys, all 4 of my ports are full, and i still have one pc getting LEFT OUT!

THASNKS FOR EVERYONES HELP!

J