How web pages look in different browsers & OS's

I've been working on a web page and in Linux I can use Opera, Mozilla and even Konqueror and it looks fine. But when I boot into Windoze the font sizes, the images and everything are much larger whether I'm using Opera or IE. Is there some sort of default system setting that I need to change in Linux or is this "normal?"

The images should be the same size. Maybe you're using a different resolution between the two OS? As for fonts and things these would depend on your X font config. Check the resolutions because last time I checked 20x20 pixels was the same on both OS.

James

You were absolutely correct James. My resolution in Linux was set at 1024x768 and in Windoze 800x600. Since I have a 17" monitor I changed the Windoze setting. I don't know why Windoze configured it that way during setup. Or why I "assumed" it would have the correct setting. :oops:

Thanks!

Well I got my first real lesson in web design! I checked my website on my daughter's computer and it has a 15" monitor. The site looked terrible! So I redid the page several times over until it looked almost the same on both of our screens. Now I just wonder how it will look on a 19" monitor. The way I redid it I hope it'll be okay. :?

Anon I'll have to send you a pm so you can see it when it's finished. For one thing it's a commercial site and they don't know it's uploaded yet (I put it on my personal home page for testing) and haven't approved the design. Second thing is there's no way I'd post the link here and let the critics get ahold of it and check my scripting. I did all of it manually. :oops:

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but one thing I learned real quick that alot of sites seem to forget is to use %s in your table and table cell sizes instead of actual widths. That really helps when people using different resolutions visit. Of course, you'll still have some problems with people using much lower resolutions and things will look crowded. You can never really adapt to all resolutions, I wouldn't think, (well, unless you build several alternate pages for each resolution and use javascript to load the proper page for the visitors' resolution) but the percent thing really helps.

Also, I always check my site in Netscape after I redesign something, because as far as I've seen, Netscape is the most unforgiving browser for bad coding.

Whoa, I had a look at my site on IE today.

All the fonts were stuffed. And not only that the links were orange and red!!

If you have a look at the CSS defining the links it has

http://au.geocities.com/rcxau/style.css

a {

<!--color: #ff8400;-->

background: transparent;

text-decoration: none; 

}

a:link:hover {

<!--color: #ff0000;-->

background: transparent;

text-decoration: none; 

font-weight: bold;

}

Maybe it didn't occur to IE but I had them COMMENTED out!! And for a reason!!

Seriously that browser is incompetent!! Why must Microsoft put the curse of Internet Exploder on us web designers????

James

I'm not a web designer, but I do work with a lot of internet technologies - so maybe my thoughts here aren't a complete waste of time.

If you are having problems getting pages to look good in different browsers etc., why not mark up all your content as XML (a good idea anyway) and use XSLT to transform it to (x)html?

This way, if one or two browsers are causing you real hassles - you can simply write a different XSLT stylesheet for it and it will look fine (as long as your stylesheet is ok :wink: ) You can then use various technologies to check the type of browser being used and apply the appropriate stylesheet