Can't make new partitions! /dev/hda7 + 8 are gone!!!

iphitus

The other day I noticed my swap partition wasn't being mounted upon startup. I tried to mount it as root with 'mount /dev/hda7'

Didn't work. However going into diskdrake and mounting it there works.

Today i decided to fix it, instead it tried mounting my LFS partition as swap, i checked my /etc/fstab, it was fine. I couldn't work it out.

So seeing as i haven't used my LFS in a month, don't have a lot of HDD space, and will be starting a new one on a different computer in a few months i deleted both partitions (swap (/dev/hda7 and LFS /dev/hda8) in diskdrake.

But, I can't make new partitions!! I make a new one in disk drake however there is no /dev/hda7 or 8 made for it. I tried manually with fdisk, and it didn't work.

How can I restore the /dev/hda7 and 8 files??

Everything is working, I just have no swap, and a 1gb of my tiny 6gb hdd unpartitioned

James

firstly .. swap shouldn't be mounted ever ???

try swapoff /dev/hdaX then swapon /dev/hdaX

second:

if you have deleted the partitions and created new ones, you will; have to reboot ... :roll: I know i know this is linux ... but you are playing with devfsd so it will need reload.

there maybe another way to reload the devfsd daemon, but rebooting is the easiest way.

oh i didn't think of rebooting. I tried to get out of that windex habit.

As for swap, it wasn't 'available' it used to come up on gkrellm as 200mb - 166 free (or whatever was free)

Now it comes up as 0mb - 0mb free

will try rebooting

James.

Swap should definitely be mounted (less /etc/fstab to see what I mean), and you don't always have to reboot after partitioning, I know at times I didn't have to.

Basically, with a new drive it seems you don't have to reboot after partitioning, with a drive you deleted and created partitions on usually you do.

Checkout man swapon.

You can restart devfsd (mdk)

service -f devfsd (I think, see service --help)

or

service devfsd restart (service --help)

but as paul said it's easier, and IMO possibly better, to reboot

If you still can't retrieve or partition, use parted with the rescue option, it's on the cd's (use it very carefully). It once saved a lost reiserfs /tmp of mine. (read ALL its docs first!)