Mandrake 9.1 Not Booting

Guest olunic

Guest olunic

Hi, when I go into rescue there is no option for removing the bootloader just reinstallation. I think I would just keep using the floppy for now and when I start using a new system with xp, I'll try installing then. But for now I need help with my sound and modem detection problems.

To remove the bootloader, boot off of CD1, hit F1, type rescue.

Then...

mount your partitions

go to console

type chroot /mnt

Now you are effectively working with your partitions only

type

/sbin/lilo -U

This should remove the bootloader and reinstall the last bootloader (e.g. DOS)

Other than that, you would need to get a dos diskette and use

fdisk /mbr

Honest it isn't that hard its just that its in another language to someone coming from windows.

You need just reinstall the mbr like cannonfoddr suggests.

Edit your lilo.

We can't do it for you, at least not reliably becuase lilo/grub are both VERY fussy about extra/hidden characters.

If you copy and paste you stand a chance of adding extra charecters then all hell breaks out....

Once you edit it to what someone says its pretty simple so long as you follow instructions. Weve done it with lots of people in exactly your situation before. In fact we are probably some of them.... we did it, it worked and were stillhere :D

Hey guys, his lilo is not installed at the default location, but in his root directory. It looks like rescue no longer detects a bootloader at other than the mbr location.

So, do as connonfodder says to uninstall lilo. You do not need to restore the windows boot loader because you never changed it.

If you do install xp, do yourself a favor and don't use ntfs. The only place I found a use for it was on a server where I placed the operating system. If you have ever had to recover a damaged ntfs directory, you will find that it is completely unforgiving. My experience was with nt4.