Bring Display out of Standby mode

Technonoid

Anyone know how I can bring display out of off or standby mode using software?

Heres why: We have been having robberys in the neighborhood and I'm about to go on vacation for few days. I want it to look like I'm still home.

I have my TV programed to come on and off and switch channels all during the day/night. And a light that does the same. I'd like to be able to make it look like I'm using the server. You know, the display changes from time to time. hmmmmm....

I think I just answerd myself....

Feel free to comment anyway... :)

Hmm, well I use xset to set my preferred screen blanking, standby, off ect. But, if I use a cron job or something like it and reset dpms with xset, will it bring the monitor up if its in standby or off mode?

Anyway, what I thought of was to write a little program to display some web pages, then after a while run a game in demo mode, then later play some music, ect,ect... Thats after I set dpms for always on and no screen saver, then I can blank the screen with my program. Its what I'm planning anyway.

doesn't coming out of standby require mouse movement or keyboard press, not just a program starting up?

Yeah, thats what I'm thinking anyway. So thats why I have decided to set the dpms and screen savers/blankers to off and run my program. At least I can blank the screen with my program..