Installing from Source -> Version conflict, Dependencies.

PeterPanic

Hi all!

I've got a newbie problem, as I think this has to happen all of the time and I guess other people solve it every day:

System: Mandrake 9.0 on AMD K6 - 350

---8<------- Skip-this-block-if-you-want-to-get-to-the-real-question-immediately :-) --------8<--------8<-----------

I wanted to install The Gimp (Version of this week, 1.3.17 I think) over my old 1.2.3... OK, Downloaded the sources and did ./configure... this said, I need a new version of pkg-install or so.... Got this new version, did a ./configure and it said I needed a newer version of GLIB... I found out that it's about libglib.so.***.***.*** :-) I mean, there are many libs and links called like this...

OK, then I downloaded the new version of libglib, did a ./configure (get my first point? Why do the programmers always rely on the latest versions of everything? Even on Devel versons which haven't been tested for at least a month???) and everything was OK. Then I thought, "make" can't be wrong, and it worked. So I did "make install", because I thought, I can delete the old Versions afterwards if I have to.

OK, Now ./configure of the pkg-thing worked. (Or perhaps i mixed the pkg- thing up with the libglib thing, but that doesn't matter to my question) So I did make and make install again. As the Gimp-./configure still found the old version of this pkg-*-command I looked it up with whereis and got the two different versions in different directories of my path, then just renamed the old one to pkg-install.old and put a ln -s there to the new version. (Wow! I'm so intelligent! --- I thought)

Ans now the Gimp-./configure worked, but got to a point where it found the old libGLIB ! I looked it up and there's a 1.x-Version, a 2.0-Version (the one I wanted to get rid of) and a 2.2.*-Verison (the one I just installed)...

----8<------- End-of-blah-blah-----Begin-of-real-question------8<------

When I try to get rid of the old version via the "Remove Software" of the MCC, it says that I'd have to delete almost every GTK-Application there is! OK, that's the dependency... But I HAVE a 2.x Version of this lib!! OK, I compiled it myself, but how can I tell the urpmi that I still have it when he deletes it?

I heared installing a new Version of glibc is even worse, as EVERYTHING depends on it... How to do this?

Thanks a lot (also for your patience) :-)

PeterPanic

With Mandrake, it is best to use rpm's and urpmi for installing and upgrading software. That is what I would suggest.

If you had 9.1 you'd have it on cd. Basically in order to get what you want I think you may have to upgrade half your sys. If you're going to atempt it, urpmi IS your best bet.

You don't have to unistall libglib2, they do install side by side.

[root@localhost home]# rpm -qa | grep libglib

libglib2.0_0-2.2.1-1mdk

libglib1.2-1.2.10-6mdk

[root@localhost home]#

It may work though. Be sure to install libglib2xxx-devel and libglib1.2-devel as well.

Don't do just ./configure, do

./configure --prefix=/usr

SEE: ./configure --help

• 2 weeks later...

I'm beginning to despair!

I did what you suggested. The --prefix=/usr worked for some sources, but messed up others. Now I made a link to /usr/local/lib in /usr/lib and the same with the includes. Now more things work.

But now I've been "installing" The Gimp for almost 10 hours without success. That can't be it, can it? Other people will want to install it, too, or am I the only one on earth to install Gimp?

OK...

So I tried to install the gimp, but it needed pango, atk and gtk.

gtk needed glib

pango needed freetype

freetype needed fontconfig

fontconfig needed libfontconfig1, jade and expat

libfontconfig1 needs fontconfig !!! They need each other! How can I install one of them first?

libfontconfig-devel needs libfontconfig

and everything doesn't work with

./configure

make

make install

I have to work around so many things first, I can't imagine ANYONE can install this without getting a new distro every week. But that isn't Linux/Unix style, that's worse thatn Windows.

Now when I'm trying to compile fontconfig I get hundreds of SGML errors from openjade.

Some things are in fact available as rpm's, but they have dependencies that require me to delete all of my programs first.

The update program of rpmdrake doesn't find any packages, because (perhaps) my distro is too old (MDK 9.0!) and no longer supported......

Sorry, I don't want to sound like it's your fault, I'm just getting mad....

How do other people install standard software?

By the way... Many things I'd like to install need GLIBC_2.3.... I have 2.2 .... I wonder how to update a GLIBC ?!?! I'd really have to remove everything first....

HELP!

Peter in Panic

9.0 is still supported.

you do know gimp 1.3.17 is the unstable development branch, right? 1.2.5 is the latest stable. i suggest agains trying the development branch, as it's bound to be more of a pain than the stable.

Hi!

Hmmm.... If 9.0 is supported, I wonder what the problem of my Updater is... I tried several servers and everyone says the same. I don't know the exact message in English as I have the German version. Is there a log where I can find the "real" error message?

Yes, I know that 1.3.17 is development, but

a) I guess the next stable version will have the same dependencies

B) 1.3.17 is said to have CMYK support which millions (really) of people are waitiong for to get rid of Corel and Adobe :-) - - - So I wanted to try that.

c) Gimp isn't making any trouble (yet), because I'm not getting over the ./config phase. It just needs lots of things that I have to install first - - - and those things, which are stable versions, make the trouble...

d) Even development versions should have a chance to become installed :-)

Thanks anyway.

Peter

you probably won't find too many recent updates for 9.0-it's mainly supported just in the security updates area.

is the message something like "the list of updates is empty" and something about having all the updates or something else?

First off, think and decide how bad and if you want to do this.

ML9.1

localhost:/# rpm -qa | grep glib

glibc-static-devel-2.3.1-10mdk

libglib2.0_0-2.2.1-1mdk

glibc-devel-2.3.1-10mdk

libglib1.2-1.2.10-6mdk

glibc-2.3.1-10mdk

localhost:/# urpmf --description glib

glibc:The glibc package contains standard libraries which are used by

multiple programs on the system. In order to save disk space and

memory, as well as to make upgrading easier, common system code is

kept in one place and shared between programs. This particular package

contains the most important sets of shared libraries: the standard C

library and the standard math library. Without these two libraries, a

Linux system will not function.  The glibc package also contains

national language (locale) support.

What am I saying? You will probably have to update about 1/2, give or take, of your sys pkgs. You change one....the pit of dep resolving begins. That is why Ixthusdan and I suggested urpmi in the beginning. Same with rpmdrake really but you'll have to have a mirror, or 2, or maybe 3, in order for urpmi/rpmdrake to get all deps resolved, and successfully install all the required pkgs all at one time, or....your sys my not be very functional, if at all.

http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/ma...-1mdk.i586.html

http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2htm....&system=&arch=

GLIBC

http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2htm...ubmit=Search+...

Same for all the glib's and glibc's...they will have to be removed and replace at once....do not reboot. Not trying to scare ya, but I, aru and I'm sure others can tell ya, it ain't fun to screw this one up :wink:

Guest johnKFT

I had similar problems with 9.0 after I upgraded from 8.2 expecting to then be able to install all the latest and greatest. Unfortunately almost everything I wanted needed GLIBC-2.3 and after having similar discussions with various people, including on this forum, I decided the only viable option was to upgrade to 9.1.

HOWEVER!!! I made the mistake of buying the 2CD Standard Edition which I eventually discovered did not have any of the programs needed for compiling from source. You must get one of the fancier versions - the full works on DVD or whatever - and then make sure you install the Development section as well as Desktop, Network etc. Or download all 3 CDs.

I have installed links, renamed folders and all the sorts of things you have tried and in minor cases it can be very effective - if in doubt, lie. Fortunately, much of the time if the machine is looking for libwhatever.so.1 and you have ditto.so.2 then a link to it called libwhatever.so.1 will delude the box into thinking you have the right thing and with luck it will work.

Even with 9.1 I find muddles over folders called /usr/include/whatever-1.0 and /usr/include/whatever-2.0, each containing a folder called whatever, and the prog I am trying to install is looking for just /usr/include/whatever, so cannot find it! In these cases a link called whatever to whatever-1.0 will not work - the link has to go directly to whatever-1.0/whatever (or whatever as the case may be!).

I hope that is not too confusing, or whatever.

PS If you look carefully at the terminal output where the error occurred it will tell you which file in the extracted tarball it is reading and what line is the problem. If you then open that file with an editor you can see on the line something like '#include whatever - no such file or directory'. If you then look in /usr/include or /usr/local/include you will likely find the whatever syndrome described above. Some judicious linking will then sort it out - having checked whether the prog needs -1.0 or -2.0 or whatever as the case may be.

PPS By and large anything installed from an rpm will go into /usr and anything from a tarball into /usr/local, unless you alter the prefix setting. It is well worth always reading ./configure --help before starting. Hope this helps, or whatever.

Guest johnKFT

Just spotted an error! The line about 'whatever - no such file or directory' will of course be in in the terminal shortly before the dreaded error 1 signal. In the file it will simply say '#include whatever'.