Which cd writer software to use

phunni

I installed xcdroast the other day and managed to write some data to a CD and it all worked fine. Then I tried to write an iso image to cd and got the following error:

Calling: /usr/lib/xcdroast-0.98/bin/xcdrwrap CDRECORD dev=ATAPI:0,1,0 gracetime=2 fs=4096k  -v -useinfo speed=1 -dao -eject -data "/home/paul/Documents/Images/et-20030529.iso" ...

scsidev: 'ATAPI:0,1,0'

devname: 'ATAPI'

scsibus: 0 target: 1 lun: 0

Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.

Warning: The related libscg interface code is in pre alpha.

Warning: There may be fatal problems.

Cdrecord 2.01a14 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2003 Jörg Schilling

cdrecord: Drive does not support SAO recording.

TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM

cdrecord: Try -raw option.

Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'

cdrecord: Illegal write mode for this drive.

atapi: 1

Am I using the best software? I installed it because it seemed to do everything I needed, looked simple - (no longer so sure!) and because it didn't require dependencies that I hadn't already got installed

can anyone suggest either:

1) a solution to the above error

2) better cd writing software (must support writing data and iso images)

k3b is a good program to use for burning iso's, & data. if it didn't install automatically when you set up MDK, if you're using KDE, look in kicker->applications->archiving->cdburners (or something like that.........going from memory, i'm at work). if it isn't installed, use MCC->add software & search from k3b. also, to use it, make sure you also install cdrdao, cdrecord, & mkisofs, which also can be found via add software. it can be a little tricky to set up, but once you have it going, it's very easy to use & does the job (quick too!) here's a thread i started about k3b (it's a good read & should be able to show you how to set it up) http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=6...29ed7179aac5a69

here's another thread about what can happen to k3b settings if you decide to upgrade to KDE 3.1.2 with Textstars rpms http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=6...29ed7179aac5a69

here's a link to a "how to" that static wrote for this forum on how to set it up http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=6...29ed7179aac5a69

and, finally, here's an excellent tutorial on how to get it working that somebody else wrote. this one is easier for the newbie (IMHO) http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/k3b.html

hope one or more of those links helps you, if you decide to use it.

Chris

plain old cdrecord without a frontend is best. i used lots of gui frontends for it but eventually just when the old fashioned cli cdrecord.
no no! CLI is evil, evil I say! damn fringe groups! ;-) j/k :-P

if you are having problems, tho, using cdrecord may be your only answer, or atleast may help you figure out what's going wrong. check out the man page and read through the various switches. if you decide to go this route, and have questions-as always-post here ;-)

cdrecord on cli?

Whatabout audio files if you don't want gaps -- you'll also need cdrdao.

;)

Anyway, I nowadays use K3B, but also have used gcombust, gcdmaster.

Gave Xcdroast a try but just couldn't manage to burn a cd. (It would have worked, but I had nothing to burn, and later I just used other programs..)