sharing internet

Michel

I wanted to ask a little bit about networking..or maybe someone knozs some good tutorials.....just one to learn some more specific abotu it...

how do you hide multiple computers behind one ip-adress???

just with shorewall I suppose...., but soemthing more specific for in case..would b handy.....

thanks..maybe it's not the "best" question, but just want to learn some things babout networking in linux with some goo dexamples..in case I would need it...

thanks

for example I have a lan network (192.168.1.0/24) and 1 public IP address 210.55.100.1

I would have a machine with netwrok cards .. one would be configured to have a lan ip (eth1: 192.168.1.1) and the other with the public IP (eth0: 210.55.100.1)

then install shorewall, and edit this file /etc/shorewall/masq

#INTERFACE              SUBNET          ADDRESS

eth0                    192.168.1.0/24

#LAST LINE -- ADD YOUR ENTRIES ABOVE THIS LINE -- DO NOT REMOVE

thats it !! you now have nat working ... configure your lan computer to have a gateway of 192.168.1.1 ;-)

Basically the RFC addresses 10.0.0.0, 172.0.0.0 and 192.0.0.0 are not forwarded by the internet routers.

You are therefore free to use these at home...becuase they can't be tranmitted through the internet.

When you connect you either have an IP already or your allocated one.

This is a real IP address.

NAT takes your internal address and translates it seamlessly to the second one.

Here's something to try...

Open your favorite browser at your favourite sire hint ... http://www.mandrakeusers.org/

Open a seperate window ... and point is somewhere else ... google will do.

Now think ... How does it know which window requested google?? You'd expect it to get confused and display google in the last window active or something :wink:

Its magic, browser A requests data and gets it from mdk users and at the same time browser B gets it from google.....

How does it work ???

Go figure .. (If you really want Ill explain but I have a feeling you wanna work it out for yourself .. its truly beautiful in its implicity)

OK: Now you understand NAT too. It stores the internal IP and tracks the packets going out but uses the public IP for all your computers....

When it gets them back it routes the packets to the instance of the browser on the PC that requested it.....

Is that COOL or what... [/url]