Scanner Recommendations

mdg

I'm thinking of buying a relatively simple scanner(1200x1200, 48 bit, $100), mostly for scanning photographs. I've looked through the forum, but most of the info deals with scanners no longer on the market.

Can anybody recommend a current USB scanner that works with 9.1? I've checked the Mdk compatibility list, but didn't find a suitable scanner compatible with 9.1

I have a Epox 8K3A mainboard

Guest beeboy

I'm using the Epson 1650 and it works awesome with Mandrake 9 & 9.1. It is a little pricey but the quality and results are high for photo reproduction.

Short: I have the epson 1650 too, works like a charm, even though a bit more expensive, it's worth it.

Long: I have an HP4200c, should be slightly supported etc. Wasted hours on it, to no avail.

Then checked sane support (see links page on my website), checked what they sold in my area, and it came down to the epson. Other contenders were cheap canon (avoid!!!) and hp (some do work, but not all so be careful; the cheaper ones don't work..).

I guess I paid 140 US$ (well, 210CHF) for it.

I've got an AGFA 1212U which is quite happy with Linux, but I doubt they still make them. You could do worse then checking out SANE's home page. It has a failry up-to-date list of all the scanner supported by SANE and how well they work. Generally Epson is a good company to go with, because they are co-operative when it comes to producing drivers.

http://www.mostang.com/sane/

Even the lowly Mustek 1200 UB Plus, £35 from Safeway, $45 from WalMart, works.

You got to be joking? Safeway sells computer products in scotland?? All safeway sells here in relation to computers is CD-R/W ans floppys!

Now if i said that in Scotland you can walk down to the supermarket (Safeway), and buy a scanner or computer they'd eith give me a funny look or laugh.

James