How does Mandrake 9 run on a P4?

thayne

I'll be getting my mobo in tomorrow. It has been on back-order now for 2 weeks.

It is for 2.53GHz/533MHz FSB P4/1GB PC2100. This is going to be my linux desktop. I am building it to learn linux. Have been using linux for router/firewall and SETI boxes but not as desktop.

Feel like a 10 year old at christmas, :lol: !

I'll be getting my mobo in tomorrow.  It has been on back-order now for 2 weeks.

It is for 2.53GHz/533MHz FSB P4/1GB PC2100.  This is going to be my linux desktop.  I am building it to learn linux.  Have been using linux for router/firewall and SETI boxes but not as desktop.

Feel like a 10 year old at christmas, :lol: !

Doh!

I'm getting mine tomorrow too, but I got a 2.0Gh at 400Mhz, I really wish I would have got the 2.5!!! at the time I didn't realize it was only an extra $30....

I do like the specs of my mobo, it has usb 2.0 and firewire, as well as built on raid controler and supports up to 3GB of PC2700 ram!

http://us.shuttle.com/specs.asp?pro_id=94

Full specs are here :D

ezroller, I don't know what we did any different today than I had done over the weekend but it is running like a charm. Seemed to be a little bit screwy the first two times I installed it. The only thing that I did different was install it with a burner instead of the 52x cd-rom. It was probably an id10t error the whole time.

IMHO, in order to really run KDE (and I would presume Gnome) at a "modern" acceptable speed you really do need a 2GHZ+. Then again., maybe I am spoiled. This thing has some serious pop factor to it. Would imagine the PC1066 would have been oh so very much sweeter, but I already had the PC2100 when I ordered the board.

I know I have a lot to learn about linux but I really do enjoy using this computer.

Thayne, that is a really sweet board you have there. I got an Epox 4g4m+ (the micro atx ver. of the 4g4a+). Had an old Comcrap case and some other parts so I went with the all-in-one job. I've always had the best luck with Epox boards on either AMD or Intel. But your 333MHz Ram speed and Serial ATA on that Shuttle sure looks spicy though.

I can agree with that. I know that I have told people, on more than one occasion, that I would not use WinXP or Linux w/KDE or Gnome on anything less than 1GHz.

Lets just say I am addicted to speed & power and don't like being patient when comes to computers! I want things done now.

So, let me re-phrase my previous post.... KDE on anything above 2GHz is indeed a beautiful thing!

:D