Booting Problem

Guest gdr75fq

Guest gdr75fq

I am running Windows XP right now and want to install Mandrake 9.1 off of cd's. The problem is that I cannot boot from my cdrom. In the Mandrake installation manual it says to use a floppy if you cannot boot from the cdrom. I do not know how to do that though. Thanks.

Just boot into windows and then put the fist Mandrake install CD in the CD-ROM drive. The CD should autoplay (assuming you've got it switched on) and a window appears. One of the options is to make a boot disk. If it doesn't autoplay have a look round the CD until you get the program to start.

Virtual all modern motherboards allow booting from CD, even my old P200MX can boot from CD. Its just that the option is normally switched off in the BIOS. So it might be worth having a look in your mtoherbaord manual to see you could switch it on.

Guest gdr75fq

Thanks. It autoplays. It doesn't offer a make boot disc option though. Instead it opens up the D: explore and shows a folder named Mandrake. Which only has .rpm and .src.rpm files. I am using installation source cd1.

Please list what computer or what motherboard you have. Switching on the cdrom boot in the bios is easy and won't hurt your system.