Congratulations, it's a Mandrake offspring! EduLinux

tyme

Guest JaseP

Basically, it seems like Mandrake 9.1 with a face-lift and not much more...

I'm not knocking it, as it is perfectly legitimate to use Open Source code and re-work it for your own distribution... but is just seems a little bit derivitive. I think they need to really work it over more in terms of making more geared towards educational use (i.e. firewalls and set-ups for squid that filter unwanted URLs, etc.).

On the other hand, If you are having a hard time picking up Mandrake from a local retailer source, this might be a good option. It may be an equally good option to be a successor to Mandrake if Mandrake doesn't make it ecomically out of the current bankruptcy procedings.

Alas it may look like Mandrake with a few face lifts but (i'm guessiong here) Mandrake would have looked like red Hat with a few face lifts at firsts. Or as i read somewhere(probably here) 'Mandrake is Red hat with KDE" It's the first release, give it time.

James

Well.. the thing about mandrake 9.1 is that it is pretty much everything in a box kind of distro, with a bit of emphasis toward ease of use / desktop. A first release based on Mandrake 9.1 will be almost similar I think, but once Mandrake released 9.2, it will be shown what direction edulinux would take.

Personally, I would prefer a more integrated Mandrake "Lite" with one DE, one browser, one office suite, etc. Or even Mandrake "Lite-er" with lighter DE (icewm or xfce), but that's just me :)

I don't know if this is worth mentioning but the OpenOffice.org files on the cd's of this offspring does work in upgrading standard 1.0.2 that comes with mdk 9.1. I just pulled the 4 needed rpm's off the cd and installed them using rpm -Fvh and all is well and good..Easy way of upgrading to the latest OpenOffice on MDk 9.1...