kernel 2.4.21-18mdk

fahd

I have bought mdk 9.1 power pack, shiped with kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk. I have installed the new kernel 2.4.21-0.18mdk issued from mandrake. Unfortunately my system starts up in text(console) mode, not in graphical mode. When I tried to execute the script startx I was told that nvidia driver does not existed. Really what hapened to my system. I just gave the command:

rpm -Uvh newkernel.rpm

No more. The new kernel was kernel-2.4.21-0.18mdk.rpm.

Please help.

Thank You. :oops:

you need to reinstall the nvidia drivers. when you change kernels, the nvidia drivers need to be re-installed. go to nvidia.com, download their installer, and run it from the command line.

If you still have the program, perhaps in your /home directory, just run it again! No need to download it if you still have it. :wink:

I am hoping that using rpm -Uvh didn't edit your /etc/lilo.conf file - it should have just changed the /boot/vmlinuz symlink to point to the new kernel. *If /etc/lilo.conf did get altered be sure vga=788 is still in the append section. - If it isn't, add it, save, and run "lilo"

The Nvidia kernel driver file was linked against the header file of the older kernel, therefore it has to be re-linked for the new kernel. A re-install should solve the problem.

Glitz.

I tried the new kernel. I did not have a problem with the nVidia video drivers, once I had uninstalled them from the other kernel. My problem was with the nVidia sound/network nForce drivers. Every time the computer accessed the internet, it slowed to a crawl. Great when you're playing Pinball whilst downloading a file!

I had to restore my previous kernel.

My mobo is a Asus A7N266VM, the worst purchase I ever made. The only reason I tried to upgrade to the newer kernel was because I have added firewire and want to plug in a DV Camcorder. According to linux1394.org, both the card and the camera I have are compatible with Linux. However, I read somewhere else that the nVidia chipset prevents Firewire (even another manufacturers PCI firewire card) working properly in Linux. Obviously a software problem because it works in Windows.

That is, if my pathetic motherboard can run Windows for more than 1/2 hour without crashing!!!

DAVE