All in one scanner-copier-fax

Ixthusdan

I am considering putting one of these in my home office for ease of use. (My wife does not like bouncing from one piece of hardware to the next and using different software programs as much as I do! :lol: )

I have been considering Epson units. Does anyone have one of these machines going with linux? Model stylus cx5200

I have an all in one printer scanner copier that I like realy well, but it has it's drawbacks.

Pros:

$99

600dpi scanner (adequite for anything short of professional photographic work)

printers very fast on draft

prints very well on high

one touch photo copying

Cons:

it is a biatch to set up. (Well, it's not actualy that hard, just WAY more complicated than most printers, if you go with it, I'll help you out though)

not a stand-alone fax, so you will need a modem and third party software to fax, but that's realy not such a big deal.

HP psc1210

If you're going onto a windows box, seting up the rpinter is a breeze, and like I said, I'd be happy to help you with the setup if you need it, or you could just find my printer threads in the hardware forum, the answers are all there.

Guest Bratag

Got one of these - bout 125 bucks - does up to 3200 - will do almost everything you require - worked just great with sane/xsane for me - also there is some SW from epson you can use on linux (though you have to download it from another site).

Hope this helps

• 3 months later...
Cons:

it is a biatch to set up.  (Well, it's not actualy that hard, just WAY more complicated than most printers, if you go with it, I'll help you out though)

not a stand-alone fax, so you will need a modem and third party software to fax, but that's realy not such a big deal.

I just bought the PSC 1210v and I just popped the ink cartridges in, hooked it up to the usb and plugged it in. Then ran printerdrake and it works fine. Don't know what the 'biatch' part would be...lol. Although, I have/had no idea that it can work as a fax with a modem (how?).

Let me guess, you're using mandrake 9.2??

When I posted that, I was using mandrake 9.1 whitch, as you may or may not know used a slightly older version of hpijs, the HP inkjet server and also a slightly older and not compatible version of the hpoj driver, whitch is what enables the scanning. So, then, you had to let printer drake configure it, whitch would of course, not let you print. Then you had to manualy remove about 6 packages, and compile the latest CVS of hpoj and the latest tarball of hpijs, configure the printer from the console with 'ptal-init setup' and then set it up in cups, either through the command line or web admin tool. If at any point you tried to have MCC help with any of this, you were out of luck and had to start over.

That's why I said it was a biatch.

Of couse, with 9.2, life is beautiful. Set-up is all automatic and it works perfectly first time.

As for the faxing, that's both simple and obvious. Any computer with a modem, printer and scanner can be used as a fax machine. There are a number of fax programs whitch can send a scanned image and almost all faz reception programs can print. Haveing a multi function device just means you can do it with less junk on you desk.