Has anyone had any success with nvclock ?

GuoJing

I used this program (forget which version) to OC my GF3 in Linux (Mandrake) almost 2 years ago, and it worked great. Now I'm trying to get it to work with this GeForce4 TI4200 (Asus V9280 VS AGP 8X 128MB VIVO). Whatever clock speed I set it to, X will lock up completely with lots of fuzzy pink vertical lines. No Ctrl + Alt + ***, I'm forced to do a hard reboot. This really sucks :( I have read the author's site and he said that there's some problem with GF4 OCing, that some certain combos don't work (well for me none of them works), and that he will release version 0.7 soon to fix it. However that promise was made in March this year.... I have been searching forums + Google, but there aren't many threads on nvclock and I have found a few who have the exact same problem.

If you know the fix, or another OCing utility for Nvidia cards under Linux (I haven't been able to find anything else), please tell me :) Many thanks :cool:

I tried using a utility (can't remeber which one!) but the game play is so much better in linux, I never set it! On the other hand, windex must be overclocked. :roll:

Gameplay in Linux is a lot slower than in Windows for me, at least with the games I play, like UT2003. Anyway...

I found a fix for my problem: which is to use the command line to OC :P The GTK one will cause the lockup described above - I used the GUI because I wanted the tweaks as well (like adjusting the Digital Vibrance or AA/AF etc.).

While I can OC now, the max OC I get in Linux (MDK 9.1) is lower than what I get in WinXP, but perhaps it's just because of different drivers and different approaches/algorithms to OC the cards (like driver vs low level HW).

Will post more findings soon :)

I am curious as well. The nvidia linux drivers are excellent; the stock mandrake drivers are not even playable. I play rtcw and quake3, which should be a good test of a game system!

Of course I'm using the Nvidia driver (latest one). Maybe if I played a pure OpenGL game I would have got the same speed...if you read some UT2003/Linux reviews which have benchmarks, you would see what I mean. UT2003 running in D3D is significantly faster than OpenGL. Although it's just me being picky - the numbers (fps) are lower but it's still very playable. Same with other games :) like the emulated PSX games I play.