Sudden bubble jet printer problem

Guest BooYah

Guest BooYah

This is wierd and I know zip about printers. My Canon BJ M70 suddenly decided to print everything with about 1 mm blank spot between lines.

I'm getting white horizontally stripped printouts. It's doing this on my Mandrake box as well as the wife's Windoze, so I guess it's some kind of hardware isuse. Any ideas?

I've tried the cables, switching drivers, and cleaning the the head through the Windoze driver utility on my wife's box.

I'd have second Ixthusdan, sounds like a cartidge problem. You could try cleaning the print head, this often helps. In windows this feature is built into the drivers, for Linux you generally have to have a serperate app specific to your brand of printer.

You could try cleaning the print head, this often helps.
He already did that ;-)
...and cleaning the the head through the Windoze driver utility on my wife's box.

BooYah: I would suggest going out and buying a new printer cartridge. This is often a sign of a cartridge that is getting very low on ink.

Guest BooYah

Thanks, but, I should've added that I've tried new cartridges. It uses 2 cartrides, 1 Black and 1 magneta, cyan, yellow combo. All colors do this.

The lines it prints are fine, it just that it blanks out every milimeter.

Maybe for some reason it doesn't print when the print head goes left to right or vice versa?

Being able to print is important for my business, so I need to get this fixed or go shopping for a new printer ASAP. I was trying to hold off on buying a new one until we got back to the States, where I know for sure I could get one that plays nice with linux and understand the manual. :wink:

You might want to take a pencil eraser (gently) to the contacts on your cartridge and printer

Naturally, there is also the option of physically cleaning the print head, however, you said it happens even with new cartridges.

I take it you were getting great results earlier, and haven't changed anything ( thinking of when you were hinting about kprinter, which I don't use, so couldn't comment on - I paid for TurboPrint myself, and I get great results on all my printers)?

If the cartridges do not contain the print head (ie. the print head is part of the printer) and a nozzle is clogged then changing the print cartridge may not help. I have an old Epson Colour Stylus and when the nozzles get clogged I usually have to break out the isopropyl alcohol. I usually cut a narrow strip of paper, thread it under the nozzles, and then apply some alcohol to the paper and rub it under the nozzles.

If there is no change in the pattern after doing this then there may vary well be something wrong with the printer.

Glitz.

Guest BooYah

Got it fixed. I had to buy a new BJ cartridge. It's the cartridge that holds the ink cartridges, if you're curious. Cleaning the old one didn't work.

qnr, I was actually hinting to get you to reccomend a replacement for kprinter. I might have found one in Xpp. Now that I can print again we'll see.

Thanks for the help, people.