MCC started without need for password

iphitus

Something here has really stuffed

I just at a command line typed "mcc" to start MCC

I was ready to enter password and then wtf, it loaded without a password. I was not logged in as root and i didnt have MCC open already!

And it isn't a one off

What's going on here?

James

In fluxbox?

See if there's a "pam-panel something" running with

ps -A

or

ps auxf

In gnome, I can kill it and gnome-session-save and it won't come back so if you're running gnome-settings-daemon try that. I don't know about flux, and what the "remember" patch is capable of. It is started by running things as root so that you no longer need to su to root for the session. Stupid really...what if your session is a week?...someone could come along and destroy the sys. I login as root so I don't have this pam prob anymore :wink: unless I'm logged in under my wifes account and rarely my user account.

Well, you only specify Fluxbox for LFS, so I'm going to mention something about KDE. If I remember correctly, KDE had the Keep Password option. I think you have to explicitly set it, so I'm sure you'd remember if you had.... Anyway, it remembers your password for a set period of time (i.e., 10 minutes, 2 hours)... so that if you had su'd to root, or otherwise given your password within that time period, you wouldn't need to enter your password again.

You could try to run gnome>open mcc and give password>pam-panel icon should be in the panel>close mcc>open Configuration>GNOME>Advanced>Sessions and highlight the pam-panel whatever>Remove and Apply> then open a terminal and

gnome-session-save

I haven't got gnome installed on my system. I've only got IceWM and Fluxbox. esides i've restarted since then and it wants a password now
it doesn't matter what WM you use, I think MCC saves the password itself for your current session.

This is a "feature" of ML 9.1.....

Logging out of the current session should reset it. Mandrake should have a way of turning this off...dunno if they do tho.

That was the first time it had ever happened. It had never remembered the password. And i've used it many times in a session before
oh...well, something changed! :lol: no idea what...u sure pam isn;'t running somewhere?