Gnome and Nvidia drivers?

Guest ions

That tutorial needs a little updating. The latest NVidia driver installation script will die if you start it while in X, if I remember correctly.
that it will. besides, you should _never_ install nvidia drivers while X is still running. chances are it will only cause frustration (that is, it won't work and you'll get weird errors).

Guest c_m_f

I have always, always, always installe dmy nvidia drivers whilst runing X and no problems have ever happened, i even installed using the install program using X and it was all fine and dandy.

No problems at all here.

directly from the README:

BEFORE YOU BEGIN DRIVER INSTALLATION

Before beginning the driver installation, you should exit the X server.

In addition you should set your default run level so you will boot to a

vga console and not boot directly into X (please consult the documentation

that came with your Linux distribution if you are unsure how to do this;

this is normally done by modifying your /etc/inittab file).  This will

make it easier to recover if there is a problem during the installation.

After installing the driver you must edit your XF86Config file before

the newly installed driver will be used.  See the section below entitled

even nvidia tells you not to have X running. the chances of having problems are too great. once or twice it worked fine for me while X was running, but everytime I've installed the drivers with X running aside from those one or two times I've gotten weird errors when trying to startx with the nvidia drivers. Sorry, but just because _you_ have not run into issues doesn't mean it's a _good_ idea. better safe then sorry, as my dad always says.

That is why I asked. I have never been able to install nvidia drivers while in x without doing a whole lot more adjusting afterwards. If you are out of x, then you basically do 2 things: run the program and edit XF86Config-4.

Pretty simple. :wink:

Besides, everyone should learn how to use their box outside of x, so that you can play with it when that last experiment makes x go away! :lol:

How do I disable X?
open a terminal, su to root, and type
init 3

and hit enter. you will be left at a virtual console. login as root, go to the directory you download the NVIDIA-Linux installer to, type chmod +x NVIDIA* and then ./NVIDIA*

after this open up XF86Config-4 with: vim /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

once it's opened, look for the device section and a line which should read Driver "nv"

press i to enter insert mode

change nv to nvidia

press esc

type :wq and hit enter.

reboot (type reboot and hit enter)

additionally, this tut may be of more help and more descriptive: http://mandrakeusers.com/DOlson/tutorials/.../nvidianew.html