K3B issue...

shen

I get this message when I try to run k3b.. I have managed to get it working to this point and I get this message at startup...

No support for ATAPI with cdrdao

You will not be able to use all your reading devices as copy sources since there is at least one not configured to use SCSI emulation and your system does not support ATAPI with cdrdao.

Solution: The best and recommended solution is to enable ide-scsi (SCSI emulation) for all writer devices. This way you won't have any problems.

Any help on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated..

Shen,

I'll try to help until the real experts get involved. :)

It will help to know what your cd rom and cd writer hardware is and how you have them setup? Are any of them newly installed since you installed Mdk?

1) Please post the brand and model of any cd/dvd devices you have.

2) I assume you are running Mandrake 9.1, but it would help if you post what your OS is for sure.

3) Please post the contents of your /etc/fstab file.

The /etc/fstab is where the settings are for your cd devices. Mandrake should have set them up as scsi emulated instead of ATAPI devices. You should be able to find it using Konqueror or another file manager and go to the /etc directory, find the fstab file and double click on it. That should open the fstab file and then you can select the contents and paste it into your post here using the "Code" buttons above the message in the Post a reply box.

4) Did you use the K3b Setup wizard? If so, what errors did it give you?

Providing this info will help everyone to troubleshoot your problems more quickly. HTH!

Check my website (see link below), go to the config page, where I explain how to set up readers as scsi devices too.

BTW after going through the trouble of making my dvd-rom a scsi emulated device (for disc to disc copying, instead of via the harddisk) I realised that it's not really so practical.

But you will find all data, including my lilo.conf and other files (also on my spec page, see .sig), for comparison reasons.

Hey, I often wondered if making the DVD-ROM IDE-SCSI was really very good, its just adding an extra layer when you are trying to maximise performance for DVD playback.

I'd be interested to know your experiences...

And if that really matters at all when you access it as a raw device???

BTW after going through the trouble of making my dvd-rom a scsi emulated device (for disc to disc copying, instead of via the harddisk) I realised that it's not really so practical.

I'd like to know what you mean by "...it's not really so practical". Never noticed any problems myself and I'd hate to be advising someone to do it if it is not practical.

It's not like it doesn't work or so, it's just that it freaked me out that my athlon 2400+ @ 154x13MHz (so faster than a normal 2400+ system) had a load of more than 60%....

For copying a cd, I'd prefer to copy via the harddrive.

But hey, if it works for you...

All I can say: I have made 1 copy like this (don't often make copies anyway) and may make a copy like it again (the copy did work fiine), but never directly of an audio cd.