Windows - Linux

Pitrisss

Hello, i have a problem.When i start PC it show linux "welcome screen" and there i can choose OS.But if i remove linux from that hard drive it did not show that screen and i cant choose windows, it show some type of error and i cant run it...

Please help me with it.

Sorry for my enlglish

EDIT:I have 2 hard drives.On 1st is Windows and on 2nd is Linux

The bootloader from Linux is still in the MBR you need to remove it from the MBR. If i'm correct boot from de windows cd en choose recovery mode or something like that an then something like "fixmbr" and you can start windows again.

I can be wrong, i don't use windows for over 6 years.

Why have you removed Linux from your HD. :wacko:

I don't think he must follow me its very radical, a dualboot is the best option. He just needs to re-install Linux (Mandriva) and he can experiment with Linux, or choose for windows for the short time he wants that :lol2: .

In case you do have the Mandriva DVD, then you can boot it in expert/rescue mode. The rescue mode allows you to reinstall the Windows bootloader with two clicks. Pretty self-explaining, just give it a try.

(The reason why the system refuses to boot right now is that the grub-bootloader stores the essential config-file on your linux partition. If you remove that one, it is a bit tricky to get the system up and running as the bootloader has no place to search for the config file anymore. ;))

Doubt that will work arctic. IIRC the info to restore the windows bootloader is also stored on that deleted linux partition. I think he will have to restore the windows bootloader using his windows install cd and the procedure is different in vista and winxp. For vista see:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...2f3f351033.mspx

For winxp, follow this procedure:

Boot with the XP installation CD.

When prompted, press R to repair a Windows XP installation.

If repairing a host with multiple operating systems, select the appropriate one (XP) from the menu. If you have only one operating system, enter 1 to select it.

Enter the administrator password if prompted . If you don't have an admin password, just hit the Enter key when prompted and you will be taken to a command prompt.

To fix the MBR, type the following command at the command prompt:

fixmbr

Then hit the "Enter" key and confirm by pressing the "Y" key when prompted. That will reinstall the windows bootloader, assuming you have winxp installed on the C:\ drive.

If you have multiple windows OSes installed, this could get more tricky.

Edited by pmpatrick