Applications keep changing?

Guest ions

Nautilus isn't so bad if your looking for an explorer-like file browser, but Midnight Commander is where it's really at, if you ask me.

What's better about it?

I don't use Gnome or KDE. Not an editorial comment, just a statement of fact. I've used them in the past, and neither of them provides anything I particularly need that isn't otherwise available.

For the benefit of ions, myself, and other noobs, could you tell us what you do use?

Ions, I hear you on feeling dumb! Keep up the good work; we're learning! :)

If you want a midnight commander style file browser in KDE (or any Window Manager/Desktop Environment, if you have the KDE libs installed) you might want to install krusader.

I do about 30% of my work in virtual consoles, without X. In X, I jump around between different window managers, but primarily use Fluxbox. I don't even have the Gnome or KDE libs installed - but if I did, I'd be able to run most Gnome or KDE applications, utilities, or applets from most of the other window managers.

Now, I don't need Evolution, I have mutt, or squirralmail, or sylpheed-claws or other MUAs (mail clients). I don't need Konqueror or Nautilus, I have Mozilla, Firebird, Opera, Lynx, W3, Links-Twibright, Dillo, Worker, Rox, emelFM, dfm, Endeavor Mark-2, midnight commander, FOX Pathfinder, and so on. Don't need KOffice, I can use SIAG Office, for example, or I can do without a suite and just use individual apps.

Here's a place where you can look over other Window Manager/Desktop Environment options:

Window Managers for X

Guest ions

I wouldn't feel so dumb if the documentation would stop making me feel like a poor reader! If it weren't for the forums usable documentation would be non-existent. :x Example:

I'm now in Gnome and and reading the Help documentation. In section 1.1 the first bullet says:

From the Desktop Preferneces menu

Choose Applications->Desktop Preferences.  Choose the preference tool that you require from the submenu.  The dialog for the too is displayed.

That menu option does not exist. At least not on my system.

So far I have to say nothing in Gnome is working as I'd expect. For the quote above I had to type the text out, the Ctrl-C shortcut did not work and right-clicking to select copy also did not work. Also putting icons in the quick launch panel is proving far more difficult than it should - you apparently can't drag and drop an icon there. I also can't delete the default icons off my desktop at this point. Neither the delete key nor right-click and select Trash work. Trash is greyed out. Now there are probably ways to activate these functions but without usable documentation I'm pretty much f....

Sigh, I'll keep on "truckin'".

You should probably start a new thread on this, as it will get lost in the middle of this one. Although I don't use either at the moment, I've always found Gnome to be slower than KDE, which appears to go against what most users of this board experience. However, I can't think of any reason it would be "Tremendously slow" in relation to your experiences with KDE. The last time I experienced something like that was when I was using a 100MHz PII, and there was a significant difference (still, that was with much older versions of Gnome and KDE too, in addition to the processor).