May have just made lots of work for myself

Stupidly (I'm a bit jet lagged and this is causing me to not think things through properly) I just overwrote many of my files in /etc

I did an emerge --update world and then ran etc-update

There were loads of files to update so I just let it get on with it. Now I realise that things like my /etc/fstab have been overwritten to something else.

Anyone know of a way of getting these files back without having to write them from scratch? Otherwise I'm going to have to do a lot of work in order to avoid a broken system :cry:

I guess you updated 'baselayout'. This package contains pretty much all the files in /etc before you actually tweak them. Look in /etc/init_d.old, the old files (from the previous version of 'baselayout') are all there :wink: . Compare the old version with the new and add stuff according to your needs.

HTH

MOttS

Hmmm - most of those files seem to be scripts rather than config files. I figure it's probably safe to leave the new ones as they are.

It's mainly things like my /etc/fstab that I really can't be bothered to re-write (jet lag causes laziness as well as stupidity)

It is a comfort to know that most of what I lost probably wasn't config

OK - my system is broken. There must have been some other config files which got destroyed

I think I will have to rebuild from scratch - I really don't feel like bothering with that now, but I don't think I have any choice

Edit: except that networking is broken, so I can't back anything up :cry:

Edit: except that networking is broken, so I can't back anything up  :cry:

If you look at /etc/init.d/net.eth0 and /etc/init.d/net.lo you should see which one is broken. Replace it with what is in /etc/init_d.old and restart the network (or reboot .. whatever). That should do the trick.

MOttS