Memory Usage

Guest Age040

Guest Age040

Hi all,

First up, apologies if this is in the wrong place or has been posted somewhere else before me ( I did have a look but couldn't find anything obvious)

Basically I have installed Mandriva ( like it so far ) but have noticed a discrepancy.

When I look at the hardware config for my system I see ( as expected ) that I have 19712 kb available ( 2 * 1G installed )

but when I look at memory usage it shows only 884 MB max available.

Am I missing something, or should I be concern that the OS seems to only have less than half of my system memory available to it ?

Thanks in advance for any helpers and pointers,

AB

In a single sentence.......You have not installed a kernel-desktop which recognizes up to 4Gbs.

When you do then your full 2Gbs will be seen.

Easy to do by just opening MCC ...........Install and Remove Software.......type the word kernel (make sure both tabs show All) in the white box and press Enter. Scroll down the list and pick from them the one that reads kernel-desktop....etc . You will see it mentions 4GBs.

When that is installed then reboot and select that new kernel from the Grub Menu and when you get into your account again it will be handling your entire Memory.

Cheers. John.