XDMCP

Andrewski

Hi, I've been trying to make sense of this thread but have been having quite a bit of trouble. I think I'm just too -=noob=- for my own good.... :oops:

My situation is this: I'm trying to connect to my Linux computer from a Windows computer. I'd like to use XDMCP to do so, so I can run my entire desktop from Windows. On my Linux computer, I've done very little, because I can hardly tell from the other thread what I should be doing. On the Windows computer, I've downloaded CygWin.

1. I ran "xhost + <Windows IP>" to add it to the access list.

2. I ran CygWin (with default config).

3. I ran PuTTY, which I've used multiple times to ssh to my Linux computer. (I've previously tried X11 forwarding with it using X-Win, with success, but only one program at a time. I did get an error doing this: "Xlib: extension 'RENDER' missing on display 'localhost:10.0'. My PuTTY settings were set as: "X11 forwarding <check>, X display location: localhost:0". ???)

I think something's missing, because I tried "X -query <my IP> :1" (as suggested in the other thread) from my friend's Linux computer and all I got was the blue Gnome login background with a large X cursor.

I read this XDMCP tutorial, but it was of little help; the files it asks me to configure are not what I have on my computer. I think I'm going to email the author about it.

Any help? :D

Which files are missing.

If its kdm, gdm and xdm thats the fault of Mandrake. They made their own Mdkdm in 9.1 so it instgrates with the Galaxy themes etc. ...

They are still on the CD's, you just need to add the packages :-)

I'm personally IMHO etc. not in favour of this soft of thing becuase you soon end up only being able to use the Mandrkae tools. They have put in a lot of effort etc. but they certainly aren't perfect.

Additionally they tend to go for the most common config or most compatible which often isn't the best tuned....

just my 2c

I didn't mean to imply that files were missing, but that something was missing in the config. I figured it out; I simply had to check a box in GDM config to enable XDMCP. All that, to check a box. :)

Now I just have to figure out how to connect here to it from my house....

Not really. I've gotten Cygwin to work (I tried on a Windows computer across my LAN at college). I can connect to XDMCP. I can connect to SSH. But from my house, I can't get SSH (with Putty) or XDMCP (with Cygwin) to work.

Unless... maybe there's a separate config for LAN access and remote remote access?