Unable to get Zip drive and LICQ working

Guest olcarman

Guest olcarman

Hello all and may I pull my hair out here?

For the past week and a bit I've been trying to get my Zip drive and Licq to

work. Licq will open and run OK from a root term window but nothing I can do

or have done will allow it to run as normal user. I've reduced the security

level, removed msec totally (and reinstalled when that made no difference),

removed and reinstalled licq from the licq.org's rpm's changed perms on the

executable in /usr/bin to rwx for everybody, removed and reinstalled from mdk

rpm's and finally reinstalled the entire O/S. Result, same problem

throughout. The Zip problem seems to be related, it won't allow me or any

user access to the /mnt/zip folder.I've read all I could find and tried all

the "fixes", disabled supermount, disabled devfs, changed the fstab entry all

to no avail.

My Zip is an iOmega IDE internal Zip 100 and worked OK with 8.2 and back.

During some changes to the mount point and fstab I'd get a bad superblock, or

too many mounted file systems type of error, changing back to original

configuration results in "you don't have permissions to enter /mnt/zip"..

These two thing are show stoppers for me and 9.0, anybody able to rescue me

before the guy's with the white dinner jackets show up??

---> LICQ

i am not sure, if this will help, but i had the problem, that it didn't open onclick under X.

Then i found out that it needed "licq-kde" because of a static dependency, although i tried to start it NOT in kde.

I installed that one, et voilà, it worked.

Try this, perhaps.... :?

Guest olcarman

I get the error message;

[ken@spooky ken]$ licq

18:44:22: [WRN] Licq: Ignoring stale lockfile (pid 2780)

fcntl: Bad file descriptor

Licq Segmentation Violation Detected.

Backtrace:

/lib/i686/libpthread.so.0 [0x40129e55]

Attempting to generate core file.

any time I try to start LICQ as user. I did urpmi licq-kde but the problem is still there.

The problem with licq that comes in MDK9...

It tends to save wrong qt configurations... So it starts fine the first time, but the second time, when it reads $HOME/.licq/licq.conf it screws up. licq-kde saves the day, because it fixes the Qt functions and makes all work fine.

Try urpmi licq-kde to fix all versions of licq (you actually fix the qt plugin).

Or for closer attention... irc.openprojects.org #licq

Guest olcarman

Well, I did urpmi the kde-licq thingies - still no joy.

LICQ does work as root so there has to be something with perms on the libs<?>.. The error message mentions a libxxx.so.6 then tries to do a core dump. I've neve found the core dump so can't look to see what else fails..

Stranger yet, I installed on a friend's machine and LICQ works like it should.. On this machine I've installed from scratch using two totally different sets of CD's thinking the first may have had a burn problem. One set is from CheapBytes and the other from Edmunds Enterprises..

I usually get the download version then buy the retail version as soon as it'savailable locally.

As for the ZIP, NOTHING seems to even come close to making it work. Just changes the flavor of the error messages.

Perhaps uninstall LICQ by hand.

First the normal uninstall, then uninstall all you can find somewhere.

Look in the filelist of the packages, there you go.

I had often some configurating files left, after uninstallation of sthg, perhaps this is, what happens to you, too.

After that, well, try and error :roll:

No one has mentioned your zip drive problem, but aside from making sure there is a disk in the drive, you may have run into the defective supermount in 9.0. Remove it from the command line with supermount -i disable. You will need to mount devices from the command line or if you are up to it, you can configure autofs. There is a tutorial called "Mark's Autofs Tutorial Revisited" in Linux Gazette #42 or "How to set up Linux Autofs" at http://freespace.sourceforge.net/guidot/ho...owto/autofs.htm .

As far as the core dump is concerned, if you really want to look at it, it is in the root's home directory. More power to you if you can figure out how it will help you solve the problem(s).

Counterspy.

Guest olcarman

I've tried about everything including disabling supermount... See quote below...

The link to the autofs HOWTO was a dead link, but I do thank all of you for taking time to give me a hand..

It seems to me that when I disable supermount the Zip is supposed to revert to /dev/hdd4 or possibly hdc4 <I'd have to look at dmesage to know for sure>.. It is the slave on the second chanel so probably /dev/hdd4, but when set this way I get the bad superblock or too many mounted file systems error.

Klicq has started working right out of the blue, dunno what if anything I did cuz I had about given up on it <G>...

I haven't restarted the computer since it started working, so I'll keep my fingers crossed..

"The Zip problem seems to be related, it won't allow me or any user access to the /mnt/zip folder.I've read all I could find and tried all the "fixes", disabled supermount, disabled devfs, changed the fstab entry all to no avail.

My Zip is an iOmega IDE internal Zip 100 and worked OK with 8.2 and back.

During some changes to the mount point and fstab I'd get a bad superblock, or too many mounted file systems type of error, changing back to original configuration results in "you don't have permissions to enter /mnt/zip".. "