Can so. give me a STEP2STEP way to do an XDMCP/IPSEC?

qeldroma

I just want to logg into my GDM on my server via IPSEC, because it is mentioned to be the fastest way for GUI-Login...

As i read a LOT of articles about it i realized, that it is a hard stuff to find in.

So i am asking for a "short tutorial" just for my needs. Can anybody help me out?

-----------------------------

VNC is too slow, X to insecure, ssh to slow

When in GDM, open the options or system choice (not sure which) somewhere in there there's an option to allow XDMCP. then, login, run MCC, go into the firewall settings, click the advaced tab and add tcp/117 (erm, i forget which port it is actually, but in GDM it tells you what port it is) to the list of ports that are open.

That's how you set it up on the server end...but as anyone will tell you, this isn't really a safe thing to do....

When in GDM, open the options or system choice
What are those, and how do I open them?
click the advaced tab and add tcp/117 (erm, i forget which port it is actually, but in GDM it tells you what port it is)
How do I ask GDM which port it is? :P

GDM is the gnome display manager, which you can switch to in MCC->Hardware->Display Manager (i think).

System should be visible one the login screen, at the bottom.

When you get into there, look throught the tabs, one of them mentions XDMCP and I believe it tells you what port it's on.

please note, I'm dong this from memory, I'm not in front of a Linux box and I don't have GDM on my system anyways...so...my directions may be slightly off, but don't be afraid to poke around at things a bit ;-) You'll learn more that way...and if you break something, we'll help you fix it :-)

The port is 177 (according to my GDM).

and in the Firewall settings, the syntax is 177/tcp.

Hey, pretty close considering it was back in October when I set this up on my own system...guess my memory isn't quite as bad as I claim sometimes ;-)

Sound needs to be done with a sound-server configured for networking like nas, arts or esd.

They are all able to transfer soundoutput, but none of them has a good documentation.

nas is preferred by most terminal-solutions, don't know why...

Ok, so I had success logging in; I'm actually using my computer remotely to write this. (It's remarkably fast!)

Is there a way to connect to an existing session? I'm wondering if anyone has sent me any IMs over Gaim... :) but if I log in as myself, it starts a new session, though I'm already running Gaim &c. on a session.