Problem with sane-backend and Xsane

MottS

Hi all

I installed sane-backend and Xsane today. When I start Xsane it finds my scanner no problem. If I clic 'Acquires Preview' I see my image. However, if I clic 'Start' to scan the image, Xsane freezes and never finishes the job. The scanner make a bit of sounds for like 2-3 sec and then it freezes too. What's wrong? What can I try to make it work the right way? How can I know that the problem is sane-backend or Xsane?

Thx for help

SCANNER: UMAX Astra 2200 - USB connected

MOttS

EDIT: Ok I'm goint to try 2 things.

(1) Try to upgrade from XSane 0.86 to 0.90 and sane-backend 1.0.11 to 1..12 and see if it works

(2) If (1) doesn't work I'm going to install another kernel. I'm currently running 2.4.20-gentoo-r2 and I suspect the USB driver to be broken. I'll try vanilla 2.4.21.

I've also read postings (elsewhere) by individuals who have astra 3400 installed with Mandrake and it works fine. So maybe my problem is the scanner device itself. One idea I've come across is that the driver for the scanner (on the windows side) does post scan work and clears out weird affects before the scanner software gets to it. This may not be true for linux..

Out of interest, i tried scanning a pic in windows, and then the same thing in MDK. Im not using the same scanner as you, but i did notice a difference in quality. But, i rectified this by increasing the dpi in Kooka./xsane. Im not sugesting this is your prob Cannon, but might be worth a go.

Hey thanks for you replies guys. I didn't expected anything.. lol

Ok so I upgraded Xsane and sane-backend and same problem, Xsane freezes when I press 'Start'. So I'm going to install the Mandrake kernel source (transform the src.rpm to tar.gz and start from it) and configure/compile it for my system. Will see if it's a gentoo-kernel-souce problem .. this is probably so because my scanner was working on Mandrake.

MOttS

Motts:

Another idea, is it USB2.0 and is it the only USB2.0 device you have??

Ive still been too lazy to get usb 2 working. It freezes up completely on one system (built in usb2) and on the other I gave up (temporarily) and removed the USB2 card so it would install without crashing.

I'm not sure there aren't some kernel problems because it worked fine in 9.0 although it wasn't extensively tested.

I can say my SCSI scanner works fine in 9.1, not that that helps you.

aRtee has his USB 2.0 working so worth checjking if you think that could be the problem.

Gowator, this is not usb 2 and my usb printer (epson color 740) work #1.

I did not try the mandrake kernel yet.. I'm not even at /home 'til wednesday so not I'm not gonna play with it untill then.

MOttS

AHRRRRRRRRRR

I installed the vanilla kernel source 2.4.21 and I still have the same problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess it's something when I 'make menuconfig' because this scanner works with a default Mandrake installation (then default kernel). What do I have to enabled? Here is some sections. Notice that right now, my USB printer works#1 and I can preview a picture with the scanner .. but I can't numerize.

here it is (this is the .config from my last 'make menuconfig' with kernel 2.4.21 .. and I still have the same problem with the scanner):

bash-2.05b$ cat /usr/src/Config-linux-2.4.21 | grep USB

# USB support

CONFIG_USB=m

CONFIG_USB_DEBUG=y

CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y

# CONFIG_USB_BANDWIDTH is not set

# CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD is not set

# CONFIG_USB_UHCI is not set

CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT=m

CONFIG_USB_OHCI=m

# CONFIG_USB_AUDIO is not set

# CONFIG_USB_EMI26 is not set

# CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH is not set

# CONFIG_USB_MIDI is not set

CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=m

CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG=y

CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DATAFAB=y

CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_FREECOM=y

CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_ISD200=y

CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DPCM=y

CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_HP8200e=y

CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR09=y

CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR55=y

CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_JUMPSHOT=y

# CONFIG_USB_ACM is not set

CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=m

# CONFIG_USB_HID is not set

# CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT is not set

# CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV is not set

# CONFIG_USB_KBD is not set

# CONFIG_USB_MOUSE is not set

# CONFIG_USB_AIPTEK is not set

# CONFIG_USB_WACOM is not set

# CONFIG_USB_KBTAB is not set

# CONFIG_USB_POWERMATE is not set

CONFIG_USB_DC2XX=m

CONFIG_USB_MDC800=m

CONFIG_USB_SCANNER=m

# CONFIG_USB_MICROTEK is not set

# CONFIG_USB_HPUSBSCSI is not set

# CONFIG_USB_PEGASUS is not set

# CONFIG_USB_RTL8150 is not set

# CONFIG_USB_KAWETH is not set

# CONFIG_USB_CATC is not set

# CONFIG_USB_CDCETHER is not set

# CONFIG_USB_USBNET is not set

# CONFIG_USB_USS720 is not set

# USB Serial Converter support

# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL is not set

# CONFIG_USB_RIO500 is not set

# CONFIG_USB_AUERSWALD is not set

# CONFIG_USB_TIGL is not set

# CONFIG_USB_BRLVGER is not set

# CONFIG_USB_LCD is not set

My system is pretty much default and I really have no clue here. Wish I could produce lists like this, but anyway:

I have a USB-uhci controller which initalizes during bootup. I see this line is commented out. Maybe this is the one ???

.. this is probably so because my scanner was working on Mandrake.

I hate to say it (and not contribute anything useful) ;) ) but it seems like you have angered the linux god Mandy for stepping away and worshipping the heathen god Genone (or was it Gentwo) :lol:

Seriously, I've had my fair share of scanner problems, so I wish you good luck...

Guest Bratag

Having just had a lot of issues with USB I can only recommend 1 thing - pause for dramatic music -

The 2.5.x kernel. Yes its kinda unstable, yes its kinda wierd, yes it isnt as nice to compile as 2.4.21 - BUT - It has Much much much better USB support than 2.4.21.

For example - on 2.4.21 I was getting an average of 8.5 MB/s from my usb drive under hdparm - on 2.5.73 I get between 13-15. My scanner is recognised and works perfectly as well (An epson 1660). And the kicker is that all this is through a pcmcia USB 2.0 card on a laptop.

If you have the time and the will I stongly suggest this as a fix

PS: Failing that check out the USB forums on sourceforge.

Thanks guys for your support .. I couldn't live without you .. :lol:

OK. My USB root device uses usb-ohci. If I try to modprobe anything else, it doesn't work out so this is why I only compiled usb-ohci...

It's a good idea to try a different kernel. I'm going to try it tonight or tomorrow or ..

For now I'm going to be forced to boot Windows :-(

MOttS