Installing new kernel without changing boot graphics

Ixthusdan

In the past when I have installed a kernel update, I have lost the niffty Mandrake graphic boot screen. Nothing else changed, just the booting screen that some people find iritating! :lol: I like it because it is one of the unique qualities about mandrake. So, has anyone had any experience upgrading the kernel and keeping everything else status quo?

I am using lilo (graphic boot, of course!) :wink:

Yes, there is a place to change it, but the last time I upgraded my kernel (9.0, I think) I lost the graphic boot screen. Resetting it did not work.

the option in MCC->Boot->DrakBoot never really worked for me. tried it a couple times with no luck.

If I remember correctly (which is a rarity) when you install a kernel update in mandrake it adds a new entry to lilo for the new kernel, what you should do is look at your /etc/lilo.conf file and modify the entry for the new kernel to be similar to that of the old entry (although it may have a different initrd image, check /boot....and don't modify the line pointing to the kernel image! ;-) )

I am so pleased to annouce that I installed the new kernel rpms, utilizing urpmi (of course), and everything worked flawlessly. No loss of boot graphic, nvidia compiled just fine, and everything is exactly as I left it. :wink:

We may be on the road to success with Mandrake!! :mystismiles:

If you want it to be done automatically, after "make modules_install", run "make install". It will do all the initrd stuff then add entries to your existing boot loader (grub or lilo). Works on any distro. I just recompiled the kernel and it booted up with the graphic display just fine :)

Thank you for all of your input. In my previous experience, none of the above worked in recovering the graphic boot screen. When I compiled my own kernel, same results. In fact, anytime I changed my kernel from the default, I lost the graphic boot screen. I am familiar with using lilo; I have had as many as three different distributions booting from lilo. At any rate, no changes occurred other than the kernel upgrade, which is as it should be! 8)

I thought I did that, but since I don't remember, I might not have. Didn't the upgrade kernel in 9.0 (I can't remember which kernel it was!) come with an initrd image? I know that this one did, and I think I made one for the kernel I compiled. (It was on the to-do list) Maybe there is a switch that I missed??

I have never upgraded a kernel, I always compile, so I don't know exactly. If I understand it correctly the images in/info/data etc/whatever....are stored in the initrd.img. So if the kernel installs its own, then you'd loose your old. I know this doesn't make sense because then, how can you just change themes?....I don't know :P I just know that when doing it manually, when you change the bootsplash you must update the initrd.img as well or it'll still use the old bootsplash.

http://www.bootsplash.org/ :wink:

hope you figure it out!

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=2837