IDE? - CD-RW - DVD - Not working

MadHattr

Hey for some reason when i bought my new stuff for my computer 1 sony cd-rw and 1 sont DVD drive and stuff. i hooked them up with the little 2 inch or whatever wide cables. but when i restarted and stuff it would only show the master drive "sony DVD" the slave "sony CD-WR" would not show up and then when i switched the cables so that the cd-rw was master and the dvd was slave i still couldnt view the slave ?? im running a asus motherboard waith a pentium III 550 MHz

Guest Avalanche-X

On the back of each of the drives and make sure the one you want to be master is set on master and the one slave is set to slave. This is most likely the problem.

Go to (mcc) Mandrake Control Center>Mount Points>CD Burner, and you have to tell mcc where to mount it. It can be anything ..e.g. /mnt/cdrw or /mnt/dvd.

The other way is manually edit /etc/fstab and create a folder in /mnt and give the name from /etc/fstab.

The above should take care of defining a mount point and creating an empty directory in /mnt for a mount point, but if you want to actually burn CDs with that new cdrw you will also have to edit the "append" line in lilo.conf which is in /etc by adding:

"hdx=ide-scsi"

where "x" is the drive letter for your cdrw. Your new append line for your linux boot menu entry in lilo.conf should probably look something like this:

append="quiet devfs=mount hdx=ide-scsi"

The reason for this edit is that all CD burners in linux have to run under scsi emulation in order to burn CDs.