Mandrake 2007 - Netgear WPN111

Brendon

Hi all,

I have just installed Mandrake 2007 on my sony vaio (PCG F809k) which has no ethernet adaptor.

I do have a Netgear WPN111 USB WIFI adaptor and I have read here that people have managed to get it to work. The problem is, I am a complete novice when Linux OS is concerned and with a laptop that is completely isolated from the internet it is proving quite difficult.

I have managed to download and copy on to my Mandriva desktop via Pen Drive "ndiswrapper-1.53.tar.gz" & "WPN111.tar.gz" I have read and believe I will need these.

All I need now is a shove in the right direction (bearing in mind im a novice) on how to install this USB WIFI adaptor with Mandrake.

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,

Brendon

Im affraid not, I have tried pointing ndiswrapper to the wpn driver but it seems to fail. I have tried upgrading ndiswrapper but I failed again.

Where would be the best place to copy files with mandriva because i cant seem to browse the desktop with konsole?

Cheers the Yin Yeti

Brendon

You need the Mandriva Control Centre and not the KDE Control Centre. Do Alt & F2 and put mcc, click run, input your root password and press enter. Go to Network & Internet--> Setup a new network interface (LAN, ISDN, ADSL, ...) there you will see Wireless follow the wizards directions. If this should fail, for the ndiswrapper to work, you will need to unpack (unzip) the .tgz, try right clicking it and you should see an extract here option. Using ndiswrapper browse to the folder and it should take if from there.

Edited by {BBI}Nexus{BBI}

thanks for your reply {BBI}Nexus{BBI}, but im affraid this method has failed me, I get this error,

"Some components (firmware) are required but aren't available for ndiswrapper hardware. Firmware files are required for this device. The required files can also be installed from this URL: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.netmediawik....php/list"

I have the latest ndiswrapper but I am unsure how to install it :(

Thanks in advance all for your help

Brendon

The best place to unpack zips, tgz or whatever is your home directory, that way you will always know where to look for them. If you have unpacked the ndiswrapper-1.53.tar.gz, in the directory is an Install text file. Follow the instructions there to install the newer version. You will need to have the Kernel-Source files installed for this to work. In the konsole do uname -r, make a note of the kernel version, then use the package manager in the Mandriva Control Centre, type kernel-source, click search, go down the list and select the kernel source that matches the kernel version you made a note of. Once this is installed you can go ahead and follow those install instructions.

Kernel Version Installed: 2.6.17-13mdv.i586

I have extracted ndiswrapper in my home directory using konsole, whilst being in home directory when using this change directory to cd /ndiswrapper-1.53

I get

"bash: cd: /ndiswrapper-1.53: No such file or directory"

Lol This is really frustrating!

Lol I will get this dongle working :) Does any body know where I am going wrong at this point?

Brendon

You don't need the /. There is another way, open your home folder, click into the ndiswrapper-1.53 folder then press F4, this should bring up a konsole at your current location.

Hi all,

I installed the kernel successfully, whilst installing ndiswrapper, after what it seems to be an installation or extraction after using "make uninstall" in console, there is an error. and if i continue with "make" i get another error, as a result I cannot continue my installation.

I hope this highlights certain issues that can be easily resolved.

Thanks for your support all, Its really appreciated!

Regards,

Brendon

It'd be much easier using ndiswrapper from the Mandy repos instead of trying to compile it. Provided you've got the correct windows driver for this usb wifi card, then it will work fine. I know, cos I've used it myself.

You have to use lspci from the command prompt to identify it as per the ndiswrapper wiki to get the correct drivers - these aren't necessarily the ones that came with the device, and so you have to download separately from where ndiswrapper wiki recommends.