Can't un-tar a file!

Pepse

I am having a problem trying to un-tar the sane-plustek file inside the sane-backends directory. I am suppose to: (1) download the latest sane backends into a directory; I did, it is in a directory called Sane. (2) I also downloaded the sane-plustek file into the Sane directory, then (3) I am to un-tar the sane backends file in the Sane directory (I did), then change directory to "sane-backends-x.x.x.x, I did, and then un-tar the sane-plustek file into the sane-backends file; so far "yeah right", it won't go. I got the tutorial from the plustek USB doc file. Followed the instructions and it just won't un-tar. When I do: "tar -zxvf /Sane/plustek-sane-0.45-5.tar.gz" I get an error of:

tar (child): /Sane/plustek-sane-0.45-5.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory

tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now

tar: Child returned status 2

tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

I have tried various ways of doing this and I still get the same error. What am I missing??

Pepse.

I have got pretty lazy lately and use ark in KDE to do tar files. But as i recall, it should be:

tar -zxvf plustek-sane-0.45-5.tar.gz

And NOT

tar -zxvf /Sane/plustek-sane-0.45-5.tar.gz

I did that and got the same error. The only thing I know about ARK is that it comes up on my screen when I boot or reboot. And I checked again and the file is in my Sane directory.

Pepse.

I just had a thought (and if I'm right don't call me stoopid, brain dead yes, stoopid, no) but should I have configured and did "make" and "make install" on the sane backends before I dealt with trying to un-tar the plustek file?? There is/was no indication from plustek that I do, bu-u-u-u-u-ut.......just a thought.

Pepse.

I have tried various ways of doing this and I still get the same error. What am I missing??

well, it is not "-xvfz" but "xvfz", without the '-'

yes, I know, everywhere says "-xfvz", even in the man page, but in my experience it always has worked w/o the '-'

I went to here..

http://www.gjaeger.de/scanner/archive/plus...-0_36_38.tar.gz

downloaded the tar.gz

and uncompressed it with

tar xzf plustek-module-0_36_38.tar.gz

Note that it uncompresses directly into the current directly instead of making a subdirectory. It should be uncompressed into the Sane directory. So, uncompress teh sane package first and then drop the plustex.tar.gz into the uncompressed sane directory and uncompress it there.

SDMF, yes it is in a directory in /home/ME-Konqueror Sane.

To add to what cannonfodder said...

tar -zxvf /Sane/plustek-sane-0.45-5.tar.gz is going to try to un-tar a file in /Sane, not from a subdirectory of /home. Hence the "No such file or directory" error. If you are in a directory with a subdirectory called Sane, containing the plustek tarball, then you would need to either leave off the / that is before Sane, or add a dot before it, or else you will be telling the tar command to search in the wrong place.

:evil: :? I'm not mad you people just this situation. First to say is that I am doing all of this in root, not in SU which is how to start un-tarring things. I pointed out that when I click on /home/Konqueror that that is where everything is. OK, hopefully that tells you where I am; not including losing my mind. True the problem I have here is that this is the first time I've had to un-tar something within something and I am going nutz. I should've taken my wife's advice and returned this scanner and got one that doesn't need a file within a file, but then I wouldn't be any smarter :lol: . Anyway, I am not getting anywhere with this, except the usual errors, and beleive me I have tried everything suggested, including the plustek module that ain't for my scanner. My fault I should've mentioned that I have an Epson Perfection 1250 Photo which needs the sane-plustek driver to work. Slap me later. Now my thought is since this doesn't seem to be working then are there any suggestions as to what other method I should use?? Just a small warning: I don't know beans about ARK, except that it is in my MDK 9.0. And another thing I do not have the scanner plugged in to my USB port, if it matters, it shouldn't but I thought I'd mention it.

Pepse.

If I recall, you need an extra element to run your scanner off a scsi link rather than a usb link.

Here's some suggestions..

1. Sane is a package that allows linux to talk to "a" scanner. Any scanner that it supports. You need to verify that sane supports your scanner first. Do this by reading the sane website.

2. Do not log in to root to do the compile. You do not need to have root access until you perform the final step which is "make install". Go to here and look for the tutorial on Installing software. This will teach you how. Get the latest files from sane and plustek website before starting.

3. Make sure sane is not already installed. You can open a console and type

su <- login as root

rpm -qa | grep sane

rpm -qa | grep plustek

and see if they are already installed. I believe Mandrake installs them by default. If already installed, then I'm not sure why you are installing. If that is the case, go back to step one :)

4. If you do compile sane, read the sane and plustek website and find instructions on how to do so. Then follow them religiously.

Good luck!

It's a USB scanner. And I have read these and other tutorials and done everything that I should and for some da*n reason I just can't seem to un-tar a file within a file. That is my problem. I mean just last night (Friday) I untarred and configged and made a piece of software off a CD; and I've never done that before and it was a piece of cake. Also, I have done (what I feel) is a fairly thourough search for ways to do this before I posted here. Hell, I just don't get it?!? I've untarred alot of stuff in the past 15 months and this is a bit*^. I don't know what else to say.

Pepse.

Guest BooYah

Ok Pepse, the last thing you need is 50 people telling you what to do, but first things first. Where is the file? Each one of your messages says something different.

Assuming it's somehere in the /home tree, let's find it.

find /home -name plustek-sane-0.45-5.tar.gz

Post the results here.